Archive tbc.............George Mobsby COMPLETED

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Archive tbc.............George Mobsby COMPLETED

Postby SRD » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:30 pm

I have a George Mobsby (Mobsly, Mopsby, Mobsley etc.) b 1847 to James & Lucy. I have him in 1851 & 1861 then not 'til 1911 living in apartments at 15 Lascelles Terrace, Eastbourne, Sussex:

George Mobsby Boarder 63 Married Retired Pilot Admiralty Essex Barkingside
Emily Mobsby Boarder 48 Married Private Means Middlesex Staines
Married: 28 years
Children born: 3
Children alive: 3
Florence Emily Mobsby Boarder 27 Single Private Means China Shanghai
Ada Georgina Mobsby Boarder 26 Single Private Means China Shanghai
George Albert Mobsby Boarder 18 Single Student China Shanghai
Rubina Louisa Dundas Blaughton Boarder 31 Single Private Means West Indies Jamaica
Agnes Constance Mobsby Boarder 34 Single Private Means Croydon Surrey

The Mobsby's moved to Croydon from Essex so presumably Agnes is a cousin of some sort.

Firstly George must have trained to be an Admiralty Pilot, does anyone know if records are kept?

Next, I can't find a marriage although the birthplace of the children suggests it may have been abroad, can anyone help with records of marriage and births in Shanghai?

Thirdly, can anyone find anything about possible service in China?

Thanks.
Last edited by SRD on Wed May 26, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Re: George Mobsby

Postby SRD » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Whoohoo, google is my friend:
http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/e-v-edward-verrall-lucas/whos-who-in-the-far-east-1906-7-june-hci/page-27-whos-who-in-the-far-east-1906-7-june-hci.shtml wrote:MOBSBY, George (Shanghai), C.M.G. (1903), F.S.A. ; Senior Pilot on the Yaugtsze River; b. July 31, 1847, Barking Side, Essex, s. of James Mobsby ; m. 1882, Emily, d. of James Burtenshara of Epsom. ediic. : North Surrey School, N o r w o o d. Apprenticed to the Mercantile Marine, 1863 ; wrecked in the brig 41 Valeria," in Sea of Marmora, 1864 ; wrecked in the ship " Meridian," in the Atlantic, 1865 ; was in store ship s.s. "Lybia," Abyssinian Expedition, 1867 ; wrecked in the s.s. " Sylvia," off Gibraltar, 1868 ; joined Yangtsze River Service, 1869; became Admiralty pilot under Admiral Sir G. O. Willes, K.C.B., 18S2 ; served continuously and been present under all circumstances since, when H.M. ships have been required to quell riots and protect life and property on the River Yaugtsze, notably in 1930 under Admiral Sir Elward Seyni3ur, G.C.B., (China medal); piloted H.M.S. Glory to Hankow, 1903 (congratulations of Admiral Sir Cyprian A. G. Bridge, K.C.B., and the Admiralty); surveyed the Yaugtsze River from Woosung to Hankow, 1877-1880, the work commended by Hydrographer
and published by the Admiralty.
Decorations: For valuable services to the Royal Navy.
Publications: Various papers on Yangtsze Valley and Steam Traffic and Trade on Upper Yaugtsze. Address: Shanghai, China; Highdene, Elwyne Avenue, Exmouth, Devonshire.

Apart from the rather poor OCR I think that's pretty interesting. Although given the number of times he was wrecked I'm not sure I'd want to sail with him. :grin:

Nonetheless, if anyone can find anymore info I'd be grateful.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby sparkstopper » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:22 am

Sure he wasn't 'Delboys' uncle Albert from 'Only Fools & Horses'. :roll:
Semper Paratus:
sparkstopper

Postby Northern Lass » Wed May 26, 2021 7:24 am

Flagging to see if this is now completed as an old post.
unless advised in the next 24 hrs will move to archived.
Northern Lass

Return to Archived General Discussion