WW1 uniform question: completed, thanks

General discussion of military history related topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

WW1 uniform question: completed, thanks

Postby gardener » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:53 pm

Can anyone tell me the significance of these stars?

The photo was taken in October 1914, at the training camp near Goring on Thames. The whole group shows a "football team" of men connected to the Chatsworth estate. My grandfather is one of them but I wondered if knowing the rank of this guy would help to identify him. They were probably all in the Notts and Derby Brigade: the Sherwood Rangers, South Notts Hussars and Derbyshire Yeomanry. I expect that the Chatsworth men were mostly Sherwood Rangers or Derbyshire Yeomanry. My grandfather was in the Army Service Corps, and I suppose this gentleman might have been in one of the supporting bits too. Hopefully this will make sense to someone :-)

Added: is it a record of service?
Attachments
football_crop.jpg
football_crop.jpg (55.94 KiB) Viewed 3121 times
Last edited by gardener on Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Re: WW1 uniform question

Postby Frodo » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:03 pm

It's difficult to tell on the photo but if it is any clearer in the original could you focus on the shoulder badge and or get it enlarged. There are a lot of photos of badges on the internet. Alternatively you could submit an enquiry to the Army Museum who may be able to point you in the right direction if they can't help themselves. I don't know but I expect they still have staff working even if they are closed for visits at the moment.
Frodo

Postby gardener » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:19 pm

Thanks Frodo
I managed to look at the shoulder badge and it certainly says Notts and Derby, with a number above. So that was a good idea.
gardener

Postby Frodo » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:55 pm

This means he was a Sherwood Forester. They have a regimental museum in the Nottingham area:The Museum of the Mercian Regiment who you could contact for further help. I'm not sure but it's possible that the stars denote the number of campaigns he was involved in. Alternatively they may denote he was a captain but I think the edge of the sleeve would have looked different in that case.
Frodo

Postby gardener » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:51 am

Thanks again.
I did some digging around last night and Notts and Derby Brigade included three regiments, plus other "bits" like the Army Service Corps and so on.
I also found the attached picture which shows an efficiency star awarded after five years of efficient returns in the Volunteer/Territorial army. So I think this guy must have been in that for 15 years before WW1. Makes sense as he is obviously not a very young man.
I'll attach the photo which is cropped from here https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/183 ... ency-star/ and leave this in case it helps anyone later
Attachments
star1.png
star1.png (118.59 KiB) Viewed 3072 times
gardener

Return to General Discussion