ARC TBC..............Transcript Help

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

ARC TBC..............Transcript Help

Postby NickToye » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi,

I have just discovered that my Great Grandfather was discharged from the First World War, but I can't understand the writing on the image. I have attached the image, the writing I am struggling on is the Cause of Objection section.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
thomas_toy_discharged.jpg
thomas_toy_discharged.jpg (117.15 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
NickToye

Re: Transcript Help

Postby Maths girl » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:16 pm

First word I can't really get but best guess

Mystagmus????
Defective Intelligence
Poor Physique

They were nothing if not blunt!
Maths girl

Postby NickToye » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:20 pm

Wow? so this Great War where anybody who could carry a stick was good enough to be slaughtered, my Great Grandfather was that slight he wasn't able to enlist.

I've got another page that has him as 5ft 6 and 123lbs, so he must have been a small man. He died in the 50's got run over by a bread van.
NickToye

Postby Antie Em » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:34 am

Found this on Wiki : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathologic_nystagmus

Looks like it might be a vision impairment.
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby NickToye » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:47 am

Wow, so he was small, skinny, low intelligence and had a funny eye, as well as being orphaned - and then he ended up being ran over by a bread van.

Interesting.
NickToye

Postby SRD » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:29 am

Poor fellow, at least he got to meet his bread van and didn't drown in the Flanders mud in his 30s. I think the 'rejection slips' were pretty blunt to avoid the dangers of being called a coward at home and to aid future call ups by not wasting the time of the recruiting board.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby snoopysue » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:22 am

It looks like Nystagmus to me, we see it a lot on request forms for brain scans.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby Maths girl » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:53 am

snoopysue wrote:It looks like Nystagmus to me, we see it a lot on request forms for brain scans.

It helps if you have a medical background to decipher some of theses causes - doesn't it --- I am one of those the doctor needs to translate the problem into English in order to understand what is wrong with me.
Maths girl

Postby NickToye » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:12 am

Hope it's not hereditary
NickToye

Postby snoopysue » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:37 pm

Maths girl wrote:
snoopysue wrote:It looks like Nystagmus to me, we see it a lot on request forms for brain scans.

It helps if you have a medical background to decipher some of theses causes - doesn't it --- I am one of those the doctor needs to translate the problem into English in order to understand what is wrong with me.

They should, if you ask me, tell the patient in lay terms but also write down the latin name. Sometimes when my parents have been to the doctor I really have no idea what the problem is, as the lay explanation gets garbelled in the re-telling (a bit like the old "send me three and six pence we're going to a dance"!)
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby Maths girl » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:07 pm

snoopysue wrote:
Maths girl wrote:

They should, if you ask me, tell the patient in lay terms but also write down the latin name. Sometimes when my parents have been to the doctor I really have no idea what the problem is, as the lay explanation gets garbelled in the re-telling (a bit like the old "send me three and six pence we're going to a dance"!)

I can apprectiate your difficulty-- I used to listen in wonder when I heard my mother telling my siblings what the doctor had said -- I used to have taken herand gone in with her -- but was left wondering whether I must have been in a parallel universe during the consultation as it rarely bore any relationship to what had actually heard. -- I realised over time that she listened to the bits she liked (take it easy and rest) and ignored the bits she didn't (make sure you get some exercise between rests).
Maths girl

Postby Northern Lass » Tue May 14, 2013 7:43 am

Flagging to archive
Northern Lass

Return to Archived Topics