James WHITE - help required

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

James WHITE - help required

Postby spudnando » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi there

I have seen an archived thread where someone was able to give information about a relative who served in the Seige Artillery Reserve Brigade during the 1st World War. My Great Grandfather James WHITE was in No2 SARB A Battery in 1918, based in Catterick, as I have just received a photo of him, but I had never known he had been in active duty. The photo is of the Lightweight Tug of War Team for the brigade.

Could someone look up information for me, or tell me where to look, as I would like to know what position he held in the Battery?

Full name James WHITE, born Feb 28th 1887 in Renfrewshire, Scotland - married 1913 to Sarah Ann Steward and resident in Cowdenbeath, Fife when he was stationed at Catterick.

Many thanks in advance

Jillian
spudnando

Re: James WHITE - help required

Postby apowell » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:13 am

Hi Jillian,

I've searched for any service records kept for James but sadly without any luck so I'm afraid it looks like his records were one of those destroyed during the Blitz.

The Seige Artillery Reserve Brigade was stationed in the UK during the war so if James had only served in this Brigade he wouldn't have been entitled to the 1914-1915 Star, British & Victory medals. These Reserve Brigades were used to train recruits and serve as reservoirs of men and horses so It's possible he may have served in other Brigades and saw action overseas during the war. I'm afraid without his service records this will be very difficult to find out but if you have any Regimental Numbers relating to James during the war years this will help alot. If he did serve overseas then he would have received medals and his Medal Index Card would be available to view online. The problem is there are lots of Medal Index Cards for James Whites who served with the Royal Artillery and the only way we can confirm any details would be with the Regimental Number.

Kind regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby peterd » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:18 am

jillian if he has any medals the reg no will be on the edge
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby spudnando » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:16 pm

I honestly don't know nothing about medals as my family do not speak to each other and I got these from cousins who couldn't give me any information

I have little to go on

Jillian
spudnando

Return to Archived Topics