ARC TBC...............Marriage Records

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

ARC TBC...............Marriage Records

Postby Tosh » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Grandfather was in the R.A. in the C19.
On his records it says, "Married without leave" 8th June 1878.
"Brought on married roll" 23rd JUly 1880
I can make random guesses as to the meaning of these expressions but does anyone have a definite answer as to the meaning?
Tosh
Tosh

Re: Marriage Records

Postby Maths girl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:37 pm

Tosh wrote:Grandfather was in the R.A. in the C19.
I can make random guesses as to the meaning of these expressions but does anyone have a definite answer as to the meaning?
Tosh

I don't know for certain but I seem to remember that you needed permission to get married when you are in the forces -- don't know whether that is still true today -- so presumably -- In 1878 he got married without permission and had to wait until 1880 before his marriage was acknowledged with the rights that would have been given to his wife -- eg receiving some of his pay etc.
Maths girl

Postby snoopysue » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:46 pm

Maths girl wrote:
Tosh wrote:Grandfather was in the R.A. in the C19.
Tosh

I don't know for certain but I seem to remember that you needed permission to get married when you are in the forces -- don't know whether that is still true today -- so presumably -- In 1878 he got married without permission and had to wait until 1880 before his marriage was acknowledged with the rights that would have been given to his wife -- eg receiving some of his pay etc.

I think you do still need permission, I know they run a security check on the future spouse. This at least was the case when my sister was married (about 1990), they checked her out even though she was in the TA and had a higher security clearance than spouses need!
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby MarkCDodd » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:35 am

"Brought on married roll" is often referred to as "taken on strength".

Until she appears on the marriage roll the Armed forces will not pay for her accommodation, medical or moving expenses.

i.e. If your Grandfather was posted elswhere before she appeared on the roll, the cost of transport to the new location and accomodation when she reached there would have to be paid by your grandparents.

Whilst she was not on the roll she would not be able to stay with your Grandfather on any military base that might provide married accomodation.

It is good they wrote that on his record as quite often only the "Married without leave" is noted and you would have to troll through the regimental marriage rolls, part of the muster books, at Kew to find if she was ever "taken on strength".
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby snoopysue » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:07 pm

MarkCDodd wrote:"Brought on married roll" is often referred to as "taken on strength".

Until she appears on the marriage roll the Armed forces will not pay for her accommodation, medical or moving expenses.

i.e. If your Grandfather was posted elswhere before she appeared on the roll, the cost of transport to the new location and accomodation when she reached there would have to be paid by your grandparents.

Whilst she was not on the roll she would not be able to stay with your Grandfather on any military base that might provide married accomodation.
It is good they wrote that on his record as quite often only the "Married without leave" is noted and you would have to troll through the regimental marriage rolls, part of the muster books, at Kew to find if she was ever "taken on strength".

This is still the case today! Wives are even down under their husbands name at the military bases medical center. If you're married, there is a limit as to how long guests can stay in army accomodation (usually only married quarters) to ensure that the army doesn't end up providing for a large extended family.
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Postby Maths girl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 pm

I have just read that you had to be 26 to be married in the army -- so was he under 26 and then she was accepted when he got to 26?
Maths girl

Postby Tosh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:36 am

Thanks everyone for all the information a good result to my first post.
MathsGirl can you let me the reference for the information about not getting married until 26. I'm an old scientist at heart and love to have printed proof! Sad!
Tosh
Tosh

Postby snoopysue » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:53 am

Tosh wrote:Thanks everyone for all the information a good result to my first post.
MathsGirl can you let me the reference for the information about not getting married until 26. I'm an old scientist at heart and love to have printed proof! Sad!
Tosh

That'a a cardinal rule for genealogists, proof proof proof, otherwise you end up going up the garden path!
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Postby MarkCDodd » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:30 pm

I like going up the garden path. That is where the fairies live!
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby Maths girl » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Tosh wrote:Thanks everyone for all the information a good result to my first post.
Tosh

Where I read it which might not be what you would call "proof" was as a side comment in the "expert's" reply to the top question on Page 81 of the February 2011 issue of Family Tree magazine.
Maths girl

Postby Northern Lass » Tue May 14, 2013 7:24 am

flagging to archive this now if completed
Northern Lass

Return to Archived Topics