Isaac Southall WWI army info needed

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Isaac Southall WWI army info needed

Postby Sally Weeks » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:06 am

I am hoping someone can help me on the following: -
I am searching for info on my GGGrandfather Isaac Southall b 1887. I found out from his wifes death certificate that he served in the 1st world war, the only details I have are from a WWI rolls index card as follows: -

Southall, Isaac 1st/7 Worcestershire Regiment Pte 3270

Medal Roll Page Remarks
Victory L/102 B27 5906 Dis
British " "
15 Star L/11B 695

S.W.B. List L/A/937
Theatre of war first served in (1) France
Date of entry therein 31/3/15

I don't even know if this is my Isaac Southall
If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.
Sally :? :?
Sally Weeks

Re: Isaac Southall WWI army info needed

Postby apowell » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:00 am

Hi Sally,

This is going to prove difficult because I've checked the service & pension records for Isaac Southall and unfortunately with no luck which means that these records were most likely destroyed during the Blitz (60% were destroyed :( ). This is a blow because these records would have given us personnel details etc that would have confimed if this soldier was your relative.

I can maybe suggest some ideas that may help in working out if the person you mentioned may have been your relative but I'm afraid can't be 100% but let's look at what information you've given:
Sally Weeks wrote:I am searching for info on my GGGrandfather Isaac Southall b 1887. I found out from his wifes death certificate that he served in the 1st world war

What information did it state on Isaac wife's death certificate that suggests he served in the First World war ?

Sally Weeks wrote:the only details I have are from a WWI rolls index card as follows: -

Southall, Isaac 1st/7 Worcestershire Regiment Pte 3270, 201152
Medal Roll Page Remarks
Victory L/102 B27 5906 Dis
British " "
15 Star L/11B 695
S.W.B. List L/A/937
Theatre of war first served in (1) France
Date of entry therein 31/3/15

The above information would fit in with Isaac's age because the aboves Battalion was a Battalion of the Territorial force and his Regimental Number 3270 also confirms this. This means this Isaac would have been a part-time soldier prior to the outbreak of war and was called up in 1914, given that territorial soldiers served within their local Regiment this would indicate Isaac was from Worcestershire.

I've checked the census and found a possible match:
Isaac Southall born 1887, Halesowen, Worcestershire

Looking at the Medal Index cards there is only one Isaac Southall mentioned that served overseas during the war so if you can confirm that your relative did indeed serve overseas then this must be the same person.

Where was your Isaac born and what were the names of his parents ?

Check the information on that certificate you mentioned for any information on a Regiment etc. If Isaac was married and had children while serving in the army it should give his military details eg Regiment and Regimental Number on his childrens birth certificate.

If we can confirm that this is your relative then I can give you lots more information on his involvement during the war.

The SWB List stated on the Medal Index Card means he was awarded the Silver War Badge for illness or wounds received during the war.

Kind regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby Sally Weeks » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:04 pm

hi Adria,
Thank you for your fast reply to my query.
The only info on the death cert was that at the time of his wifes death he was a private in the army.(she committed suicide)
I am ordering his youngest daughters birth cert but not sure if he was already in the army when she was born - will soon find out. (will take approx 3 weeks)
Was the silver war badge handed out to all servicemen who were injured? and can I find out how he was injured?
Thanks again
Sally :grin: :grin: :grin:
Sally Weeks

Postby Sally Weeks » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:05 pm

OOps sorry typo Adrian not Adria :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sally Weeks

Postby apowell » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi Sally,

Can you answer the following questions which may help us:
1.When did his wife die?
2.Where was Isaac born ?

Information taken from the web regarding the Silver War Badge
The Silver War Badge, sometimes wrongly referred to as the Silver Wound Badge, was instituted from 12 September 1916 under Army Order 316. It is a circular badge with the legend "For King and Empire - Services Rendered" surrounding the King George V cypher. The badge had a pin for wear as a brooch.

The badge was awarded to all of those military personnel who had served at home or overseas during the war, and who had been discharged from the army under King's Regulations. Expiry of a normal term of engagement did not count and the most commonly seen KR is 392(xvi), meaning the soldier had been released on account of being permanantly physically unfit.

Isaac details regarding his Silver War Badge entitlement will be kept in the Worcestershire Regiments rolls which are held at the National Archive in Kew which will tell you if he was discharged due to illness or wounds. We know that the Isaac mentioned served overseas so most likely received the Silver War Badge due to illness or wounds from active service.

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby Sally Weeks » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi Adrian,
Isaacs wife died 14th July 1917 at Canal Hill Road, Halesowen (Drowning suicide while of unsound mind)
Isaac was born 21 sept 1887 in Halesowen, Worcestershire
Thanks
Sally
Sally Weeks

Return to Archived Topics