Wilfred Jeffs

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Wilfred Jeffs

Postby casanunda100 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:28 pm

Hello
First time poster just setting out on a journey to find out about my wife's grandpa. He served in WW1 and shipped to Le Havre with the South Staffordshire regiment in October 1917. This seems to place him in the 4th Battalion, according to little bits I have found, who were themselves then attached to the 7th Brigade, 25th Division. He was then wounded around 9th April 1918 somewhere near Bapaume and was brought home, thankfully to father 3 boys, Joseph, Norrie and David Jeffs, the first being my father-in-law.
I am crossing my fingers someone may be able to come up with any other details. A brief diary extract, the main document itself being missing, also states his "officer", as he refers to him, was called Wilfred, but no surname. We owe this officer a great debt and it would be fantastic if we could trace his descendants too.
Thanks in anticipation.
Alan Murphy
casanunda100

Re: Wilfred Jeffs

Postby apowell » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum.

My Great, Great Uncle Zachariah Tolley served with the 4th Btn of the South Staffs in France and he was also wounded around March-April 1918. The German Spring Offensive of 1918 inflicted terrible casualties on the Allied forces and towards the end of May the 4th Btn was no longer able to fight due to heavy casualties suffered.

Zachariah was awarded the Military Medal fighting with the 4th Btn in March or April 1918 but I've been unable to find out what action he'd undertaken to earn this medal.

I have copies of the 4th Btn's war diaries for Oct 1917- May 1918 which gives detailed accounts of the movement and action the Battalion was involved in and you will get an idea of the desperate situation they faced.

I recently was contaced by another relative of Zachariah who kindly sent with a photo of him in hospital uniform collecting his MM award. I also have a letter from his officer dated 1918 enquiring about his health and it mentions how Zachariah was wounded while his Company were attempting to leave the trenches. The letter also mentions another soldier who they'd thought had been killed but the Officer had heard the soldier may not have been killed but possible captured. I think the mention of Zachariah being wounded may refer to the action of April 1918 the same action that Wilfred was also wounded near Bapaume. It seems from the diaries and letter the Btn had been fighting none stop against overwhelming odds desperately attempting to halt the German advance without much success.

If you send me a private mail I will gladly send you the above information but I'm on holiday for a week so I won't be able to send it straight away.

Kind regards
Adrian
apowell

Re: Wilfred Jeffs

Postby casanunda100 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:12 am

Hi Adrian
I am away too for 2 weeks so will reply as you suggest when home and gladly take up your offer for this information.

Regards
Alan
casanunda100

Return to Archived Topics