Too little to go on?

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Too little to go on?

Postby Joel1992 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:41 pm

My great-grandfather fought in WWI, is there any chance that i could get his service records eventhough i don't have a service number or know what regiment he was in?

He survived, had nine children (i think) but i don't know much about him. He was born about 1890 in Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire and married Florence Ann Wicks (probably in 1913).

His name is John Thomas Walker... which is quite common so that doesn't help much. Do i have any chance? Any help is appreciated :-)
Joel1992

Re: Too little to go on?

Postby MarkCDodd » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:05 am

Not all records survived and I just looked under John Thomas Walker born 1885-1895 and there are non that match.

There are 63 potential medal cards.

You can try the medal rolls for the Yorkshire regiments and maybe get the next of kin but that is your only hope.

If he was in the srvice corp or artillery then you have no hope.

He married Florence in the 2nd Qtr 1913 in Middlesbrough.

There are seventeen Walker children whose mother's maiden name is Wilks born in Middlesborough between 1913 and 1935.

Good luck sorting that lot out :lol:
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby Joel1992 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Ha thanks mate, it looks like i'm not going to have much luck :lol:

The only other information i have about him are the name of his children, their birth years and the name of his parents but nothing to do with his time in WW1... guess i'll have to keep trying! Thanks for the help though, pal :wink:
Joel1992

Postby Carol » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:29 am

I know if you can prove "next of kin" you can apply for more detailed records but I'm not sure how far they would be prepared to search without a regiment number.
Carol

http://www.southernlurcherrescue.org.uk/

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSSkhCu/]
[/url]
Carol

Postby MarkCDodd » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:33 am

This is WWI, not WWII.

THe WWI records are in the public domain and can be downloaded from Ancestry or The National Archives.

You do not have to apply for the records but only about 40% of them survived a fire in 1940 caused by German bombing.

Of the surviving records, most are smoke and water damaged.

If you are lucky the soldier was pensioned out which means undamaged duplicates may be available.

The Medl Roll Cards survived but they are of limited use.

So it is not a matter of not having enough information, his records simply do not exist anymore.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby Carol » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:38 pm

Oh I see - I must have been lucky as I was able to get some details on both WW1 and WW2

I might have another look at National Archives myself
Carol

http://www.southernlurcherrescue.org.uk/

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSSkhCu/]
[/url]
Carol

Postby snoopysue » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:53 pm

Carol wrote:Oh I see - I must have been lucky as I was able to get some details on both WW1 and WW2

I might have another look at National Archives myself

My great grandfather was in Mesopotamia (according to his family), where he contracted malaria. My great uncle reconed he was in the Royal Engineers. There is one medal card with the right name, but no way of knowing if it's him or not.
I've found records of two other family members (not direct ancestors) who were in WW1, but that's it. Those who find something refering to there ancestors are the lucky ones. I'll never know for sure whether my gr grandfather was in Mesopotamia or a member of the Royal Engineers. I'd really love to know more.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Return to Archived Topics