Private Gerard FRAIN

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Private Gerard FRAIN

Postby kaludah » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:15 am

Hello everyone.

I am wondering whether you might be able to help me again. I am posting below a message from a distant cousin regarding his uncle who fell at Dunkirk on 26th May 1940. Can anyone help me verify this story or point me in the direction please?

"My uncle Gerard Frain, 2nd youngest son of Patrick Frain and Sarah Hadfield.

He went to Dunkirk with the expeditionary force. After they retreated to the beaches at Dunkirk , he managed to get on one of the small ships. His brother John Frain, my uncle, had to swim back to the beach as there was no more room on the ship. After about twenty minutes a german fighter plane came over the ship, and he made a direct hit down the funnel.

My uncle John wittnessed this horendous scene. It was filmed and one of the television companys still has the film. My uncle Gerard is buried in Nord Dunkirk. His wife Lilian from Richmond in North Yorkshire was expecting their first child. He never met his dad." Al Hepworth

Gerard was a member of the Green Howards 5th Battalion and is remembered at the Dunkirk Memorial, Nord, France.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sharon
kaludah

Re: Private Gerard FRAIN

Postby gardener » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi

The CWGC site confirms some of it http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_det ... ty=2501451 but I expect you knew that :-)
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby kaludah » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:01 am

Yes but thanks for your reply! :grin:

What I'm hoping to do is perhaps find out something about the story of the ship being sunk, or where the film footage might be found.

Sharon
kaludah

Postby apowell » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:28 am

Hi Sharon,

I've tried to find some information that may help you in your research but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack and I'm afraid I've found it impossible to find any information that would help to identify the boat. These figures will just give you an idea of the task before you:

861 little ships took part in the evacuation of Dunkirk and sadly 243 were lost to German aircraft. The evacuation was set up in such a hurry no records seemed to have been collected of the small ships that took part in the evacuation. I think if the ship had been one of the Royal Navy vessals then you would have had a chance of locating some information.

Sorry but I have no idea :(

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby kaludah » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:29 am

Gosh that's a huge loss rate really isn't it. Thanks Adrian for your help.

regards,

Sharon
kaludah

Return to Archived Topics