Wallsend WW1 Soldier ~ Bombr H Price RGA

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Wallsend WW1 Soldier ~ Bombr H Price RGA

Postby Woody » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:30 pm

Hi Everyone
Just joined the forum ~ my first post ~ hope all you experts can help ~ here goes !!

I'm looking for any help and information relating to Bombr Henry Price 56592 who served with the Royal Garrison Artillery during WW1
Henry Price was living in Wallsend on Tyne at the outbreak of WW1 and was living at 55 Richardson Street Wallsend

The reason I am researching this soldier is related to the recent aquisition of an old clock. The clock has a plaque on it which states the clock was presented to Henry Price by the public of Wallsend for winning the Military Medal.
I have checked the London Gazette and he was awarded the MM in 1916 and presume from the dates it was won during the Battle of the Somme

I am trying to determine if there was an entry in the local paper/magazine at that time relating to the public award but I am unable to identify which newspaper was in circulation at the time ~ can anyone help ???
Where are the archives held for the newspaper ????
Has anyone got an old map of Wallsend which shows the location of Richardson Street ~ does the street still exist ??
Coal mining was key employment in the area ~ does anyone know if he worked a colliery or is there some reference I can view ???

I have information that he relocated with his family in 1921 to Deneby Main Nr Doncaster which begs the question was he a miner ????

Hope someone can help
Thank you

Colin
Woody

Re: Wallsend WW1 Soldier ~ Bombr H Price RGA

Postby MarkCDodd » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:35 pm

His record is available and goes for 17 pages.

This is his family in the 1911 census

Address: 55 Richardson St Wallsend on Tyne
County: Northumberland

PRICE, Henry Head Married M 34 1877 Chemical Worker Making Sodium Acton County
PRICE, Mary Ellen Wife Married 8 years F 28 1883 Runapm Cheshire
PRICE, Kate F 2 1909 Northld Wallsend

He says they have been married 8 years, had 4 children born alive but 2 have since died.

On his war record he says his livng children are:

Ertha born 23-05-1903
Kate born 19-01-1909
Sarah Ellen born 17-04-1911 (A fortnight after the 1911 census)
Henry --06-1912

There is some detail that is very faint abouthis medal. I will have to try and inprove the contrast so I can read it.....
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby Woody » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi Mark
Thanks for the information ~ when you say there is 17 pages of information on Henry Price ~ is this on Ancestry ?? or another provider (must subscribe to one) I would appreciate it if you could try and determine the details regarding his medal

Thank you
Colin
Woody

Postby MarkCDodd » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:23 pm

His record is on Ancestry.

The copy is not of high enough quality for me to do much with it.

I can see that he killed a few people when the battery was attacked but that is all I can make out.

According to his medal card he also received the Silver War Badge meaning he was discharged due to wounds or sickness.

His medal card indicates he was discharged on the 14th December 1918 under Kings Regulations Paragraph 392 XVI which translates to "No longer physically fit for service".
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby Woody » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi Mark
Thanks for looking and providing the information ~ it is appreciated
I will get signed up with Ancestry and have a look at the information ~ next step looks like the war diaries in the NA to see if there is any information relating to his MM ~ I'm interested in your reference him "killing some people" this could be the reason he was awarded the Military Medal

Regards...Colin
Woody

Return to Archived Topics