Canadian William Graham WW1

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Canadian William Graham WW1

Postby Razzy » Mon May 31, 2010 4:38 am

I have long been told that my g/uncle William GRAHAM
(born Sept 2nd, 1901 Ontario Canada to Thomas and Alice Jane Graham from England and Scotland emigrated to Canada in 1895)
joined the U.S. army and went to Russia.
Since I started tracing my family tree I have been stuck on this brick wall as he was underage unless he joined at the very end of WW1 and then hopped a train to which American state possibly bordering on Ontario, Canada.
Then in studying WW1 I found that the U.S. never did go to the then U.S.S.R.
Recently I did find this information in Wikipedia:
The Polar Bear Expedition (also known as the Northern Russian Expedition, the American North Russia Expeditionary Force - ANREF or the American Expeditionary Force North Russia - AEFNR) was a contingent of about 5,000 U.S. troops that landed in Arkhangelsk, Russia as part of the Allied intervention in the Russian Civil War and fought the Red Army in the surrounding region during the period of September 1918 through July 1919.

Before this, I twice emailed the U.S. Army WW1 enlistments to find this great uncle William but to no avail.
Now I am wondering on how to find the list of enlisted men in this expedition. There seems to be two different U.S. army campaigns. One to actually go in combat, and another by General Graves who seemed to be more inclined to stay out of confrontation and somewhat keep the peace.
Is there anybody who can find the names of the enlisted men and more in particular a canadian in the U.S. Army called William GRAHAM?

Thanks
Razzy

Re: Canadian William Graham WW1

Postby MarkCDodd » Mon May 31, 2010 10:11 am

There are ten William Graham's from Canada who can be found in the US Draft Registration Cards.

All of them have three names. 5 of them from Ontario, The youngest born in 1893.

There are none suitable in the Civilian Draft Registrations.

In the Candaian Soldiers list there are no William Graham's born 1899-1903 from Ontario.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby Razzy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:19 am

Thanks Mark,
How can I find these ten William Grahams' from Canada who can be found in the US Draft Registration Cards, even their registration numbers or anything else, where and when they enlisted, where they were sent, anything.

Thanks,
Razzy
Razzy

Postby MarkCDodd » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:53 am

You can see them on Ancestry.

These are Draft Registrations so it does not mean they were actually called up.

24 million men filled in draft registration cards but only 4.8 million men served in the US Army in WW1.

If you walked up to a recruitment center and signed on then you may never have filled out a registration card.

These cards contain no details of their military service but do provide enough information to definately say if you have a match.

Sometimes these cards are the only way of telling a persons exact birth place so I have found them usefull over the years.

Some LDS centers have the microfilms.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Return to Archived Topics