Soviet Army records

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Soviet Army records

Postby becca_s » Sat May 08, 2010 10:33 pm

I am just going to start researching my great grandfather - Alexander Mednis.

He was born in Estonia circa late 1800's - he enlisted in the Soviet/Russian Army in 1918. I would like to know more about his time in the Army - could anyone recommend any resources that would be helpful. One of his children and some of his siblings served time in Siberia, I think as prisoners of war.My grandmother was also put into a Labour Camp, but I think that she was sent to Germany instead. How would I be able to find out more about these records, is it even at all possible for someone living outside of Russia/Eastern Europe to access this kind of information.

One of my second's cousins is living in Estonia trying to research the same thing, so I woud like to be able to help in someway.

Rebecca :)
becca_s

Re: Soviet Army records

Postby MarkCDodd » Sun May 09, 2010 1:35 pm

I honestly doubt you will find anything.

The Russian participation in WW1 was not overly popular and led to the revolution.

Soldiers who were all under one flag at the start of the war found themselves having to choose sides in a civil war whilst the rest of the world continued with WW1.

In all the confusion and paranoia and bloodshed the army records were a possible souce of discrimination and persecution so I do believe some were destroyed dusting the civil war and other's eliminated after.

Heroes of the Russin defence in 1916 found themselves enemies of the state in 1918.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Re: Soviet Army records

Postby becca_s » Mon May 10, 2010 8:03 am

Thanks for the reply Mark :)

What about army records for WW2 - like labour camps in Siberia or Germany. My grandmother's brother was sent to Siberia WW2 and she was sent to a Labour Camp in Germany I think.

I'm not sure why they were sent there - they were Estonian, I think maybe as prisoners of war???

Rebecca
becca_s

Return to Archived Topics