17th LANCERS

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

17th LANCERS

Postby LLIJ » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:27 am

Hello,

I have been trying to obtain information on an ALBERT DAMEROW who (on death certificate of his widow AMELIA) occupation was given as BANDMASTER, 17th LANCERS.
AMELIA at 30 years was already a widow, so I assume that ALBERT must have died up to about 10 or 12 years prior to that. Between about 1856 and 1868.
I can find no record of his death or their marriage (her maiden name was WISEMAN) so should love to find records of ALBERT that may help.

KIND REGARDS,
JILL
LLIJ

Re: 17th LANCERS

Postby Alec » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:55 am

:) Hi Jill

This needs updating before I or anyone can help -if you're still a member! If you are still a member -IF! -please reply

What are you still looking for and who in particular? :D Alec
Alec

Forums need to be visited regularly and should be living things full of lively members not absent strangers!
Alec

Postby LLIJ » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:54 am

Hi Alec,
Amazingly, I am still a member!
I was trying to find a marriage for Albert Demarow (bandmaster , 17th Lancers) and Amelia Wiseman but failed. Wondered if they may have been wed abroad? Where may they have been at that time? Also hoped for a bit of service history on Albert as it may provide some clues on this couple. If he died between the dates I stated .. could he have died in a conflict between 1856 - 1868?
I got in touch with a place in Surrey (well known music training school whos name escapes me) but they could find no record of Albert.
I also wondered if the spelling of Demarow may be incorrect. This is how it appeared on Amelia's death certificate.
Any help would be appriciated,
Kind regards
Jill
LLIJ

Postby Alec » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:33 am

:) Hi Jill

Here's a couple of sites that might be helpful to you

17th Lancers http://www.qrl.uk.com/h_17.html

17th Lancers Historical Enquiries http://www.qrl.uk.com/h_enq.html

National Archives http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Cheers
Alec
:D

Forums need to be visited regularly by members not just to see if someone is helping them but also to see if they can help somebody else.
Forums should be living things not a graveyard of surnames and unknown, uncomunicating absent members!
:roll:
Alec

Forums need to be visited regularly and should be living things full of lively members not absent strangers!
Alec

Postby The Beerhunter » Tue May 20, 2008 10:49 am

The music school is Kneller Hall and it is Middlesex not Surrey.

The 17th lancers became the 17th/21st Lancers (in the 1920s I think) and are now part of the Royal Lancers.
The Beerhunter

Return to Archived Topics