Unknown regiment

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Unknown regiment

Postby mjay » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:37 pm

Hi
My husband never knew his grandfather. He died when his dad was 10. His dad has since passed away. We would like to find out what regiment his grandad was in. Is it possible to find with just name and date of birth and where born.
All we know was that he was in was in the army.
Thanx in advance
mandy
8)
Researching: Yates,Hunt,Brookes,Artess,Sheldon,Thornton,Hooper,Crowley,Lacy,Downes,Weaver,Artess
mjay

Re: Unknown regiment

Postby apowell » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi Mandy,

Which war would it have been and was he killed or did he survive?

I'm sure we can offer some help or advice but some personnel details would be needed for us to have some ideas where to search.

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby mjay » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Hi Adrian
Thanx v much

It was WW2 He did survive but later died from effects of war.

His name was William Joseph Yates
DOB 10.11.1917/1918
DOD 10.11.1954 age 36
Buried st johns church kates Hill dudley

is that enough info??????????
Thanx v much
mandy
8)
Researching: Yates,Hunt,Brookes,Artess,Sheldon,Thornton,Hooper,Crowley,Lacy,Downes,Weaver,Artess
mjay

Postby apowell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:39 am

Hi Mandy,

I'm afraid due to data protection laws the service records of people who served during the 2nd World War and after are not available to view by the general public and the information must be requested by application of the next of kin. The link below explains fully the criteria and procedure on how to request this information but make sure you read fully what's required before sending the application form.

www.veterans-uk.info/

Good luck :grin:

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby mjay » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Hi
Thank you v much

mandy
x 8)
mjay

Postby MarkCDodd » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:50 pm

I hate that law in the UK. In Australia you pay a small fee and they digitize it for you and post on a web site.

You get everything, including their enlistment photographs.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby apowell » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:17 am

Hi,

Crazy for sure!

I'm unable to get my Grandfather's 2nd World War service records because I was unable to obtain a copy of his death certificate but the problem was he moved abroad to re-marry a women he'd met while on active service in Belgium. His family in England didn't have any contact with him after he left so we have no clue where he's buried or when he died (he was born in 1910 so I doubt he's still alive).

I attempted to appeal the decision but was informed from some jobs worth that 114 years or some nonsense like that needed to have passed from his date of birth before they could even consider releasing the information. The crazy part is that his service records may only be 1 page of very basic information but not to worry only another 14 years to wait to find out :shock:

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby MarkCDodd » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:16 pm

The only information restricted on the Australian records is medical information pertaining to them being given a pension.

You simply apply for that via the F.O.I (Freedom Of Information) and that is provided as well.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby mjay » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi
regarding previous posts on unknown regiment, i found out last night that hubby's grandad served in the army in italy during ww2. Still waiting on possible next of kin for info
My question is can anyone direct me to finding out what regiments served in Italy in WW2

Thanx
Mandy :roll:
mjay

Return to Archived Topics