Too many pages to count....

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Too many pages to count....

Postby MarkCDodd » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:54 am

I have been chasing up the career of a Redcoat call Patrick Mulvaney. He came to Australia in the late 1790's as part of the 73rd Regiment Of Foot. He changed to the 48th when they came to relieve the 73rd and remained in Australia till at least 1814 then travelled around the world with the 48th till his retirement.

He had children in Australia, India, Indonesia and maybe the West Indies.....

There are quite a few people decended from this bloke and they all seemed to have stalled on finding the birth records for his children in Australia and his war records.

I found both after a bit of detective work on possible "interpetations" of his surname spoken in a thick Dublin accent with a tinge of West Midlothian :)

Really, I just trolled through records that looked good and could possible be under weird surnames due to the trouble with clerks bad hand writing and lousy ears for accents.

His children in Australia were in the GRO Army Birth records as Trawley rather than Mulvaney! Because they were English records and not Australian I had to take the plunge and buy them to see if they fit. Luckily they did and I did not add more useless certificates to my pile of failures....

His service records are under the name Peter Mulviny. Peter and Patrick were fairly interchangeable and Mulviney is close enought to Mulvaney. This bloke retired whilst in the 48th so it has to be him.

So I asked for a quote from the National Archives for digitising the recods for me and was astounded at their reply..

When preparing a quote they allow up to 20 minutes to collate and count the pages.

His service record is so extensive they could't count all the pages in the "piles" of documents relating to this career soldier.

So they couldn't digitise it for me :(

Luckily I have a Mulvaney decendant who lives in the UK and will visit the archives soon.

It has me curious as to what his records may contain.

Soldiering was a tradition in this family and some of his decendants have amazing service records.

His might just turn out to be of historical interest to Australians as his records may contain details of much of the duties and action undertaken by the 73rd and 48th in Australia.

I hate waiting......
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Re: Too many pages to count....

Postby gardener » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:27 am

Hi Mark
Not sure if I should be happy that you found it or sad that you will have a truck load of papers (or images at least) to wade through!
Hope it is interesting when you get it and congratulations on having someone who will go and look at the stuff for you - they don't have afriend who wants to look at some Trinidadian papers do they? :lol:
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Re: Too many pages to count....

Postby MarkCDodd » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:48 am

Some good records in the Windies except for St Kitts....which just happens to be the one place of interest for the slaves on my wife's side of the family.....
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Return to Archived Topics