Dellicott family of the 32nd Regiment

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Dellicott family of the 32nd Regiment

Postby apowell » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:31 am

Hi,

I've found out that my x5 Grt Grandfather Joseph Dellicote born abt 1770-1775 place unknown served with the 32nd Regiment of foot (listed on his sons Peters marriage certificate) from the early 1800's. I know he served in the breadalbane fencibles Regiment from 1793-? (stated on his marriage entry). I've been unable to find any records on his military service but most likely due to the fact that the surname is mis spelt so many times.

I found out his son Peter Dellicote born 1800 Glasgow, Scotland also served in the 32nd from 1809-1810 maybe a drummer or bugle boy so I'm assuming he followed his father into the Regiment.

I've obtained my x4 Grt Grandfathers military service records THOMAS DILLICOTT alias THOMAS DELLICOT; THOMAS DILICOTT; THOMAS DELICOTT; THOMAS DELLICOTT. Born BANFF, Durham. Served in 66th Foot Regiment.

I'm wondering if anyone could maybe help me with a few questions:

1.Any ideas why Joseph and his sons would join a West Country Regiment being from Scotland or did the 32nd have any connection with Scotland and Dumfries in particular.

2. Would someone be able to kindly double check on the National Archive for any mention of Josephs, Peters or James military service history. The different spelling of the surname causes real problems finding anything on this family.

3. Would Peter born 1800 have also joined later because he was listed a Chelsea pensioner and musician by trade on the 1841 & 1851 census. I'm sure he wouldn't have been awarded a pension for only one years service?

4. I found a James Delacourt born abt 1801, Scotland who was also a musician by trade living near Peter on the 1851 census so I'm thinking he may have been a brother of Peters and possible served like Peter.

I'm at a loss how Joseph joined a West Country Regiment from Scotland and because the surname doesn't seem to be from Scotland how he ended up living there. The only people with the surname Delacourt/Dellicote listed on the Scottish census from 1841-1901 that I can find are all related to this family.

I'm attempting to find out where the family originated from but this is very difficult because of all the corrupted spellings, these are a few examples I've found:

Dillicote, Delacourt, Delicoat, Drillingcourt, Delecate, Dalincourt and Dillincourt

I've no idea what the was the original surname :?

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Re: Dellicott family of the 32nd Regiment

Postby MarkCDodd » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:43 am

The 32nd Foot served in Ireland between 1793 and 1802 so he could have enlisted then even though he was Scottish.

The Fencicbles 3rd battallion was also in Ireland around 1792-93 so he could have enlisted with them first.

Up untl the early 1880's, Regiments were not really recruited from their name sakes.

They tended to recruit from anywhere and would send out recruitment officers to all corners of the empire.

There are pluses and minuses to recruiting exclusively from a county. Can you imagine the impact on a small area of a county if their local regiment was decimated in a single action?
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Re: Dellicott family of the 32nd Regiment

Postby apowell » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:27 am

Hi Mark,

Cheers for the information and it makes alot of sense.

I'm wondering if you would be able to do a search on the national archive for any information on Joseph Dellicott military service papers because I've searched and search but with no luck. The different spellings of the surname causes all the problems.

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Return to Archived Topics