Enlisting WW1

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Enlisting WW1

Postby Annie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:11 pm

Does any one know if there are list's of all the men who enlisted during WW1 that can be search please. :-)

Annie
Annie

Re: Enlisting WW1

Postby MarkCDodd » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Not really, but there are plenty of places where they will be mentioned.

The Medal Index Cards are now fully indexed on Ancestry (and I think the National Archives use their search engine but charge to see the card). This is probably the most complete list but doesn't differentiate one John Smith from another.

There is an army list that is published each year that will mention them as long as they served.

There are an awfull lot who passed their Attestation (deemed fit for service) but were placed on reserve and never mustered.

I suppose there must be a list of those men somewhere (how else could they call them up for service).
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby Annie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:02 pm

Thank you MarkCDodd for your reply and help , I'll have a search on Ancestry or the NA I never have any luck when searching on the National Archives site though.

Annie :-)
Annie

Postby apowell » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi Annie,

Are you looking for someone in particular if so please feel free to post what details you have and someone can check the World War One service and pensions records for you. These records have the most information but sadly 60% of them were destroyed during the Blitz so it's the luck of the draw if yours have suvived. There are other options like Mark had mentioned but it can be really difficult to confirm if the information is yours because very little personnel information are included on them.

Kind regards
Adrian :P
apowell

Postby Annie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi Adrian

Yes I am looking for Hugh Faulkner , I can't find anything about him being killed and can't find a death for him , even though he was a little under age and his parents had both died I think he could have followed his brothers and enlisted , I have found his brother's details and both died at the somme.

I will have a go at what Mark suggested even though it it may be messy , thank you for trying to help.

Annie
Annie

Postby apowell » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi Annie,

Good luck and if you need any help just ask.

Regards
Adrian :grin:
apowell

Postby Annie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:48 pm

Thank you Adrian I will . :-)

Annie
Annie

Return to Archived Topics