Pembrokeshire Yeomanry

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Pembrokeshire Yeomanry

Postby mgjsmith » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:07 pm

I understand that my grandfather was in the Pembrokeshire Yeomanry in The Great War (1914-18). I am trying to locate some sources of information which would help me to identify any details of his service during the war.
Name: Henry James Smith
Born: 1894
Died: 1949

Thanks, Martin
Last edited by mgjsmith on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgjsmith

Re: Pembrokeshire Yeomanry

Postby peterd » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:09 pm

you could try posting this in the military section below adrian might able to find something ?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby grangers14 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:04 pm

Would ou like me to move this to the Military section for you?
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby mgjsmith » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:56 pm

grangers14 wrote:Would ou like me to move this to the Military section for you?
Jo :)

Yes please - I think I need to get to grips with proper usage of this forum!! Martin
mgjsmith

Postby apowell » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner but my main computer is stuck in the repair shop and I've been without it for a week and still waiting. I'm on someone's laptop at present so I have to be quick.

I've pasted the history of the Pembroke Yeomanry during the war years but you can see that thy were reformed under different Corps and the 1/1st Pembroke Yeomanry became part of the 24th Battalion Welch Regiment (Infantry). The need for mounted troops became less and less due to trench warfare etc. The mounted Regiments however played a key role in the Middle East campaigns.

Do you know if Henry went overseas because only the 1/1st Pembroke Yeomanry saw any active service abroad and if Henry was posted with the 2/1st or 3/1st he wouldn't have received any of the war medals.

I will have to search the Medal Index Cards to attempt to match Henry James Smith but I can find no record for the Pembroke Yeomanry but he may be listed under one of the Regiments they were attached with eg. Imperial Camel Corps and 24th Battalion the Welch Regiment.

It may take me a while but I look into this for you and be in touch.

Kind regards
Adrian

World War I

1/1st Pembroke Yeomanry
The 1/1st Pembroke Yeomanry remained in the United Kingdom until after the evacuation from Gallipoli when as part of the South Wales Mounted Brigade they were sent as reinforcements to the Middle East on arrival a detachment from the regiment formed part of the Imperial Camel Corps. While the remainder of the Regiment together with the 1/1st Glamorgan Yeomanry re-roled as infantry and formed the 24th Battalion the Welch Regiment attatched to the 74th (Yeomanry) Division.The Division was involved in actions against the Turkish forces at the battles of Second Battle of Gaza , Third Battle of Gaza , Battle of Beersheba and the Battle of Epehy and the capture of Jerusalem and Jericho. The Division was moved to France in May 1918. The 24th Welch entered Ath on the November 11 , 1918 , only two and a half hours before hostilities ceased.

2/1st Pembroke Yeomanry
The 2/1st Pembroke Yeomanry was based at Southwold during the raid by Admiral Boedicker’s battle cruisers on Lowestoft in 1916.. The regiment was converted in a cyclist unit later in 1916 and did not see any active service overseas.

3/1st Pembroke Yeomanry
The third line regiment the 3/1st was formed in 1915 and remained in the United Kingdom , until they were disbanded in early 1917.
apowell

Postby apowell » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:31 am

Hi Martin,

I've searched the Medal Index Cards and pension records for your chap but I've found none who served with the Pembrokeshire Yeomanry listed so if he did go overseas he must have been transfered to one of the Regiments I mentioned. The problem is because the surname of Smith is a popular name I've found alot of matches that may fit your chap.

The service records are only available online for the surnames A-N at present so I'm unable to check those for you.

I'm wondering do you have anymore information on Henry that could help.

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Return to Archived Topics