Army service - how to find more information

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Army service - how to find more information

Postby Speedie » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi,
I'm researching a deceased family member who was in REME which I understand is Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers. I have his army number and am trying to find out as much information as possible about his service. Does anyone know what information would have been recorded? Eg. can I find out when he joined, when he left, anything that happened in between etc! I'm completely new to this so any advice appreciated. In addition to the army number I have this:

REME. ATT. 100 REGT. R.A.
No.1 M.R.U.
R.A.F. STATION
CHESSINGTON
SURREY

Which was written in his diary dated 1945. If someone could decode ATT, 100 REGT, RA and MRU for me that would be great. I understand the station at Chessington is now a housing estate!
Speedie

Re: Army service - how to find more information

Postby Alec » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:16 am

:P Hi

The National Archives online http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ would be the place to look for his army records
Alec

Forums need to be visited regularly and should be living things full of lively members not absent strangers!
Alec

Postby Speedie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:31 am

Thanks Alec, I now have the forms to apply for his records :D
Speedie

Postby Katie » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:34 pm

Speedie wrote:Hi,
If someone could decode ATT, 100 REGT, RA and MRU for me that would be great. I understand the station at Chessington is now a housing estate!

Hi,

This means he was attached to 100 Regt Royal Artillery. I think records after 1920 are held by the Army.
Katie

Return to Archived Topics