Samuel Capewell ww1 dead

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Samuel Capewell ww1 dead

Postby peterd » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:50 pm

hi adrian any info on this persons ?

1 CAPEWELL , S Private 24616 25/09/1916 Unknown Grenadier Guards United Kingdom I. B. 13. GUARDS' CEMETERY, LESBOEUFS

2 CAPEWELL , S Private 14645 15/07/1917 Unknown Scots Guards United Kingdom I. D. 7. CANADA FARM CEMETERY

link topic

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2147
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Re: Samuel Capewell ww1 dead

Postby apowell » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:39 am

Hi Cid,

This is going to be tricky to work out because I've been unable to find any service or pension records that match the S Capewells who sadly died during the war.

However I've found this information which may help:

Name: Samuel Capewell
Birth Place: Netherton, Worcs
Residence: Birmingham
Death Date: 25 Sep 1916
Regiment: Grenadier Guards
Battalion: 2nd Battalion
Number: 24616
Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Name: Samuel Capewell
Birth Place: Birmingham
Residence: Birmingham
Death Date: 15 Jul 1917
Regiment: Scots Guards
Number: 14645
Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Interestingly for Samuel who died serving with the Grenadier Guards his place of birth is given Netherton, Worcs which matches your relative. The other Samuel was born in Birmingham.

If you're sure that your Samuel was killed during the war it seems to me that the Samuel born in Netherton must be your relative.

I checked on the 1901 census and found this information which matches:

Cole Street, Netherton, Dudley, Worcestershire
Household Members:
John Capewell. 37, Head, Dudley, Worcestershire, Horse Driver
Clara Capewell. 34,Wife, Dudley, Worcestershire,
James Capewell. 14, Son, Dudley, Worcestershire, Warehouse boy
Gerty Capewell. 10, Daughter, Dudley, Worcestershire,
Samuel Capewell. 8, Son, Dudley, Worcestershire,
Elsie Capewell. 3, Daughter, Dudley, Worcestershire,

I can get further information on the Grenadier Guards movements and involvement during the war if you want.

What do you think?

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby cid » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi Adrian,
The census info is definately my Sam Capewell, and according to my aunt he did die in ww1. So I am inclined to agree that he was the one in the Gren Guards. If only I could find out the ages it would confirm this. Have been on CWGC site but no ages there. My aunt is 93 now, and aks if I have found out any more. I was hoping to tell her that it was defintately him on the memorial found in Haden Hill house (must find out if it's still there and go and have a look). Any info you can find out will be gratefully received. I think that Sams uncle Elijah was also killed in WW1. He is mentioned on Rowley Regis Roll of Honour but again no age is given (he was born in 1875/1876 at Windmill End , Netherton)

Cheers

Chris
cid

Postby apowell » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

Hi Chris,

It's looking promising that your relative Samuel was with the Grenadier Guards but I fully understand you need to be 100% sure but hey all is not lost. :wink:

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) prior to completing the details on the deceased soldiers would send a verification form to the next of kins requesting further information on the soldier eg. address, age and the names of the next of kin. If this form wasn't completed and returned only the basic military details were included on the CWGC.The reasons varied why this verification form wasn't completed but most likely it would be that the next of kins were deceased or didn't receive or know about the form. If Samuel wasn't married and his parents were deceased then I would think this was the reason his details are only basic.

I think the Guard's Regiments kept their records at their military barracks so they may well have some information on both the Samuels you are interested in. I suggest you maybe ring and enquire if they do keep any records and what is the procedure to obtain them. If they do have the records then for sure they'll have basic information on age, address and next of kin which will confirm your relative.

Check out this website for contact details but I've cut and pasted the contact details for you here anyway.

www.theguardsmuseum.com

ABOUT THE MUSEUM Aims & Ideals Friends of the Guards Museum Family Research Links

FAMILY RESEARCH

Increasing numbers of people are undertaking major research to find out more about their relations who have served in The Guards regiments. Many of these people ring the museum to ask us to search the archives for details about these former soldiers. Unfortunately, we do not hold any service records on individuals as these are still maintained by the Regimental Headquarters (RHQ) of each regiment.

Those seeking information should write to the relevant RHQ directly. All five RHQs are based in Wellington Barracks the address of which is as follows:

Wellington Barracks
Birdcage Walk
London SW1E 6HQ

Alternatively you can ring them on:

Grenadier Guards - 020 7414 3284
Coldstream Guards - 020 7414 3246
Scots Guards - 020 7414 3324
Irish Guards - 020 7414 3297
Welsh Guards - 020 7414 3291

Please understand that Regimental Archivists work on a voluntary basis and are therefore a limited resource. A written application might prove a more effective approach.

I'm not 100% sure but It looks promising that they do hold records so good luck and please keep me updated. I'll wait for your reply before looking at the involvements of any Regiments during the war.

I'll look into the Elijah Capewell you mentioned and get back to you.

Regards
Adrian :grin:
apowell

Postby cid » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:15 am

Cheers for that, I have looked at the web site, think I will write to them and ask for info. Will let you know results.

Chris
cid

Postby cid » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:13 am

Hi Adrian,

Have just received info back from Grenadier Guards.

Samuel joined their ranks on 21/12/1915, he was posted to the 2nd Battalion in France on 28/08/1916. He was killed in action on 25/09/1916 at Lesboeufs, on the Somme during a major attack in which the Battalion lost 108 men, had 222 wounded and 12 reported missing. He was awarded the British War Medal, and the Victory Medal which were received by his mother on 21/05/1921.

He was in action for only 29 days before being killed aged only 22.

I must admit that I find that really hard to comprehend as my sons are the same age now.

Cid
cid

Return to Archived Topics