COMPLETED - Henry Langdell (1854-1905)

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

COMPLETED - Henry Langdell (1854-1905)

Postby BC Wench » Sat May 17, 2014 1:18 pm

Henry has been “bugging” me for years and now I’m absolutely chuffed to bits in finding army papers for him. I’ve been reading on the forum the British Military Campaigns 1858-1879 section about the Anglo-Zulu War 1879, but could really do with some help please. Below are just parts of the papers I have on him

24 Jun 1876 Henry (Corps: 11 No: 625) enlisted for 11th Brigade Sub-District at Bolton on 24th June 1876 at 2 o’clock P.M. By Eustace Anslow, Sergeant 11th Brigade 4th Foot.

13 Dec 1878-7 Feb 1880 Henry was in Natal, South Africa and served in the Zulu Campaign where he was awarded the 1879 South African Medal and Clasp.

The other papers I have include his medical history. Is there any way of knowing in which Battle he served in and under whose command?

Also, Henry was in India 8 Feb 1880-27 Feb 1883, having landed there on the HMS Malabar.

Again, I have his medical history, but what would the army have been doing in India? Would it have anything to do with the British Raj?

Last, but not least, from 22 June 1888-25 June 1892 he served for 4 years as a Private in Sec. “D” 1/C Army Reserve. I understand this to be Section D 1st Class Army Reserve.

Would Henry have been posted abroad, or needed to be on hand just in case the army needed him?

I apologise for the long post and so many questions all in one go, but I’m so thrilled in finding out this information.

Barb
Last edited by BC Wench on Mon May 19, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Re: Henry Langdell (1854-1905)

Postby MarkCDodd » Sat May 17, 2014 8:51 pm

The Sergeant that signed him up is of the 4th Foot known as, during the Zulu Campaign, 4th (The King's Own Royal) Regiment of Foot and after 1881 The King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment).

It appears that Henry was assigned to the 2nd Battalion (Lancaster) 4th Foot 11th Brigade during the Zulu Campaign.

Let me look a the major battles and their order of battle to see whee he would have fought....
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby MarkCDodd » Sat May 17, 2014 9:11 pm

His unit did not fight in any of the major battles of the Zulu campaign. This is what I had guessed before looking as he was not issued any bars/clasps denoting a battle with his medal.

Doesn't mean they were not involved in skirmishes and that he was never in danger but there are 5 major battles of the campaign and he was not involved in any of those.

His medical records show he was stationed in Natal in January 79 and there in late May when he hurt his finger.

I can't read the place name where he was when he got concussed in June 79 but I assume still in Natal.

He was in Newcastle Natal when he had "the trots" in early May 79 so I assume he was living in Fort Amiel which was built in 1876 to defend against the Zulus.

It is not a very impressive structure if you look at Google Images for it!
MarkCDodd

Postby MarkCDodd » Sat May 17, 2014 9:28 pm

His time in India was not part of a military campaign. My Great Grandfather was there as well and it was just to keep a military presence.

Look like he spent most of his time in Bombay and suffered from ague several times caused by Malaria.

It seems he was plagued by lack of energy during his time in India which is not unusual as some soldiers never climatised to the heat and humidity.

He was sent to the Mount Abu Sanitarium in early April 82 where he seems to have stayed until being sent back to his battalion in Ahmedabad exactly three months later.

I think here is more medical information not included in these records but the last entry for India shows he was still not well in December 82.

At least he didn't get gonorrhea and syphilis whilst over there like my Great Grandad!

If you want more details of what he did you will need to get access to the regimental diaries held at Kent.

They list the day to day location and activities of his regiment.
MarkCDodd

Postby BC Wench » Mon May 19, 2014 3:28 pm

Absolutely BRILLIANT Mark, thank you sooo much for all the info, which I really appreciate.

With you giving me the regiment that Henry served in, I've been trawling around the internet and found another forum, the British-Genealogy and Family History Forum, where a lady has gathered information from various sources about the 2nd Battalion (Lancaster) 4th Foot and their time in the Zulu Campaign. The link is http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums ... 36149.html if anybody is interested.

Thank you again Mark. Good to see you back on form.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived Topics