COMPLETE Isaac BELCHER 1896-1917

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

COMPLETE Isaac BELCHER 1896-1917

Postby BC Wench » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:39 pm

Can anybody help with information on Isaac Belcher please?

The information I have on the death of Isaac is from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. He was Private 19444, 2nd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment who died on Monday, 21st May 1917 aged 21, son of Enoch & Mary Ann Belcher (my Great Grandparents) He is commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

I have his Medal Rolls Index Card, confirming that he was Private 19444 of the Worc R.

It looks very much as though his War Records were destroyed during WW2 as I have been unable to find anything for years now.

I have the War Diaries from the battle and also information at the time of his death from a book the Worcestershire Regiment held at Dudley Archives, which ties in with the War Diaries

Now, searching the GRO War Deaths Index Cards, it appears he was classed as a Lance Corporal 19444. As I have never bought this type of Death Certificate, would it be worth me buying and what information does it give?

I look forward to any answers please.

Barb
Last edited by BC Wench on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Re: Isaac BELCHER 1896-1917

Postby sparkstopper » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:20 pm

Have you tried this site:
https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/vi ... arrowLinks
My subscription ran out last week so can't fully access, but looks like he
is recorded on there.
Semper Paratus:
sparkstopper

Postby BC Wench » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks very much sparkstopper. I have seen that in the past, but I'm not subscribed and I just wonder if it would tell me anymore than I already know.

Thanks again.
BC Wench

Postby apowell » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:20 am

Hi,
BC Wench wrote:Can anybody help with information on Isaac Belcher please?

The information I have on the death of Isaac is from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. He was Private 19444, 2nd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment who died on Monday, 21st May 1917 aged 21, son of Enoch & Mary Ann Belcher (my Great Grandparents) He is commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

I have his Medal Rolls Index Card, confirming that he was Private 19444 of the Worc R.

It looks very much as though his War Records were destroyed during WW2 as I have been unable to find anything for years now.

I have the War Diaries from the battle and also information at the time of his death from a book the Worcestershire Regiment held at Dudley Archives, which ties in with the War Diaries

Now, searching the GRO War Deaths Index Cards, it appears he was classed as a Lance Corporal 19444. As I have never bought this type of Death Certificate, would it be worth me buying and what information does it give?

I look forward to any answers please.

Barb

The death certificate won't give any further information and looking at the information you haveobtained you seemed to have uncovered all the available information. The other source would have been the service records which would have given a wealth of information but sadly it looks like Isaac's records were indeed lost during the Blitz.

The only extra information I gave give is that he didn't serve overseas until 1916 onwards (according to his MIC).

This link will be of interest if you haven't seen before:

http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/bat_2_1917.php

All the best.
Adrian
apowell

Postby BC Wench » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:37 pm

Sorry for the late reply Adrian, thank you very much for replyin. You have confirmed what I was thinking, that I wouldn't be able to dig out any further info on Isaac. Just one more thing, everything I've found is that he was a PRIVATE in the army, but on the GRO War Deaths Index he is classed as a LANCE CORPORAL, do you know why?

Many thanks
BC Wench

Postby apowell » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:12 am

Hello,

All the documents indicates that he was a private so I would think the GRO War Deaths Index entry is just an error.

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby sparkstopper » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:04 pm

Maybe he was an 'acting lancejack' but his substansive rank
was private?????
Semper Paratus:
sparkstopper

Postby BC Wench » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:58 am

Many thanks Gents for your info, I really appreciate it.
BC Wench

Return to Archived Topics