James QUsomething or other

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

James QUsomething or other

Postby Pudsey to Howard » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:39 am

G'day

Had a small breakthrough in relation to one of my Yorkshire great-great grandmother's siblings. Seems the sister [Caroline] was transported to the antipodes for stealing a watch.
There is evidence that Caroline married a James Quiet in New Norfolk Tasmania in 1854. Then the well runs dry.
Further research indicates that James may be James Quief who, in 1846, was court martialled in Cork and transported to Tasmania for desertion from the 16th Regiment. Then, once again, I can't pinpoint anything about him pre 1846 and post 1854.
James was about 26 years old in 1846, had been in the army 7 years having previously been a farm labourer in Horcas Kent.

Are there any records of enlistments in the 16th Regiment that may help me sort out his correct family name?

Doug
Never throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!
Pudsey to Howard

Re: James QUsomething or other

Postby apowell » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:18 am

Hi Doug,

It's not going to be an easy job because due to him being court martialled no records would have been kept regarding a pension which are available to view online and the only option would be to check the muster rolls during the dates he was serving. The information on the muster rolls may well give his correct spelling of his surname but that would be depending on the person writing down the information.

This link explains:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... 0-1898.htm

The only way to view the above is to order, pay a researcher (fee payable) or visit yourself (free of charge).

Your best bet maybe to look at parish records, birth, marriage and death entries for the local area he was born in to get maybe an idea from other families listed eg. parents, siblings or other family members. I'm sure there were more persons listed from his extended family to help pinpoint the correct surname.

Kind regards
Adrian
apowell

Re: James QUsomething or other

Postby Pudsey to Howard » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:02 am

Thanks Adrian for the advice it's been most helpful. I'm pretty much convinced the surname is Quaife and have determined from various sources his date of birth and his death & burial details. Unfortunately it hasn't provided a solution as to Caroline's story.

C'est la vie

Doug
Never throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!
Pudsey to Howard

Return to Archived Topics