William Arthur Vigar

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

William Arthur Vigar

Postby SRD » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:33 pm

I have a William Arthur Vigar born 1896 of Arthur Edward & Edith Evelyn (née Evershed) in Brighton.
In 1911 the family were living in 22 Richmond Road, Brighton with Arthur being shown as a metal turner. The property is an ordinary terraced house.

There is a Medal Record Index Card for William Arthur:
Name: VIGAR, William Arthur
Corps: R.F.A. (T)
Regtl No: 2420, 900900
Date: 17-3-22
Remarks: On R.IF. R. (T.F.) RFA/102a/268
apptd. Comm. ?.A. 15-11-18
NW/4/8768

Which suggests that he didn't serve overseas (no actual medals) but may have enlisted before the outbreak of war (Territorial Force).

Confirming the remarks on the MRIC there is a London Gazette entry:
Date: 29 April 1919
Page: 5353
The KING has approved the grant of the temporary rank of 2nd Lieut. in the Indian Army to the following gentlemen:-
William Arthur Vigar

There is a probate record:
VIGAR William Arthur of 22 Richmond-road Brighton second lieutenant 120th Infantry died 26 October 1920 at Queen Alexandra Military Hospital Middlesex Administration London 22 February to Arthur Edward Vigar mechanical engineer. Effects £505 8s. 7d.

There is a record on the Roll of Honour website that shows:
VIGAR, William Arthur Lieutenant, Indian Army. Regiment unknown. Died after the war in Millbank Hospital after discharge 27th October 1920. Aged 24. Son of the Rev. & Mrs A.E. Vigar of St Saviours Vicarage, 22 Richmond Road, Brighton. Buried in Brighton Bear Road Cemetery. (Private burial)

Can anyone explain how the son of a working class engineer who enlisted as a gunner and didn't serve overseas, came to be granted a commission in the Indian Army, who then died in a military hospital in England despite having been discharged from the forces and whose engineer father seems to have been transformed into a Vicar living at an address that doesn't match the address of St Saviour's church which was actually to be found a mile and a half away on the Ditchling Road?
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Re: William Arthur Vigar

Postby apowell » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:07 am

Hi,

I've found no particular reason why William was promoted to 2nd Lieut but if we look at the background of his promotion:

His posting was from the 15th October 1918 (London Gazette entry dated 29 April 1919) indicates he was one of many newly promoted men so I assume there was a demand for junior officers in India. The carnage of the First World War had left the Officer ranks very thin, it wasn't unusual for rapid promotions and a lot of soldiers would have not wanted to sign on as regulars. William may well have served pre war given his 2420 Reg no. and during the war may have earned respect among his officers.

I have no idea why he died in the military hospital after discharge.

If you wanted to research further a copy of his death certificate would state the cause of his death and also checking the medal roll index may give further information. This however will take time and money.

It's very interesting but difficult to work out.

Adrian
apowell

Postby apowell » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:35 am

Hi,

I've attempted to look at some of the others also promoted on the ancestry MIC and this seems to indicate that non commisioned officers were promoted on mass to India:

Harold W Bird
Royal Army Medical Corp Sgt British & War medal promoted 2nd Lt' Indian Army

This is a good find because I found his service papers:
Wallace Homeyard Jones
He was on enlistment in 1914 a Private in the Devonshire Regt and reached only L/Corp on his discharge 14th Oct 1918. On this date his service records state he was appointed Temp' 2nd Lt Indian Army ( mentions London Gazzette entry). This is interesting Wallace was stationed with his regiment from 1915 onwards in India and was only granted a temp' commission 14th Oct 1918.

This person fits well with William's criteria:
Frank Cecil Hansford Dennett
RFA Gunner promoted 2nd Lt Indian Army
His Regt no. 2287 indicates he was an experienced soldier (close to your Williams Reg no.)

It seems to me that these men were only promoted for a limited period maybe to fill the gap until regular officers could have been trained up and shipped out to India. They just seemed to have promoted experienced willing soldiers from the ranks and William would have been one of many promoted men.

Hope this helps.
Adrian
apowell

Postby apowell » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:53 am

Hi,

Last post I promise but looking at some of the other promoted mens MIC they all seemed to have been experienced soldiers privates up to Sgts and given only temp' commisions for 2-3 years.

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby SRD » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:01 am

Thanks for all that, and it makes sense, except that there are no medals, especially not Pip Squeak & Wilfred, on his MRIC which suggests that he didn't serve overseas. :?
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby apowell » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:37 am

Hi,

I also found it strange no mention of medals gained for serving overseas on his MIC.

It's a pity his service records didn't survive.

Take care
Adrian
apowell

Return to Archived Topics