James Smith WW1

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

James Smith WW1

Postby spes123 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Trying to check if I have the right James Smith of Wolverhampton

What I know from family members

My grandfather 's brother was killed in Belgium later half of 1917 and was a Machine gunner no first name just the surname of Smith (not a great starting point :lol: )

What I have found

My grand father (Thomas) had three living siblings on the 1911 census, James, Sarah and Edward both Sarah and Edward attended my parents wedding in 1963 so by elimination that leaves James as the brother killed in WW1.

Searching Ancestry etc. I find

James Smith Born Wolverhampton, Staffs
Death 26 Oct 1917 Location France & Flanders, K I A
Enlistment Wolverhampton
Rank Corporal
Regiment Machine Gun Corps
Number 7416
Formerly 18789, S. Staffs Regt.

CWGC only Gives his Rank Initial and Surname and no more.

As far as I can see this is the only James Smith that meets what I knew from family members, is there any where else I can search for more information to link this James Smith to my family?

or how confident can I be that this is the one i am looking for?

Sorry for the protracted post

Si
spes123

Re: James Smith WW1

Postby apowell » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:16 am

Hi,

The surname makes this a real stinker to work out and no service records seemed to have suvived for James making it very difficult to prove but given the information you have it's possible this is your relative. I've checked the military documents on findmypast and did find James Smith, born ? Wolverhampton (militia records). This is interesting but with no date of birth who knows and sadly I don't have a current subscripton to check on the documents enclosed.

This is a stab in the dark but did he marry or have any children during the war years 1914-1918 because if so it may give his military details on his childrens birth or his marriage certificate. If no next of kin is recorded on the CWG it may mean he was unmarried and his parents had died however it could be the form sent requesting information had been lost etc.

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby feral-underclass » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:27 am

try Doug Lewis, contact details on bottom of page
http://wolverhampton-roll-of-honour.webs.com/
feral-underclass

Postby spes123 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks for the replies and suggestions

Adrian

I am currently working through the multitude of possible marriages between 19911 census when is was single and 1917, to see if I can find anything. Interesting that you can see a record on findmypast and I can't.

feral

I have sent an email to Doug Ellis
spes123

Postby apowell » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:18 am

Hi,

Fantastic advice from feral-underclass and maybe Doug Lewis will have futher information.

The problem is on the findmypast website you have so many James Smith but enter these details:

Who
Name James Smith
Where
England & Staffordshire
Filter your search
WO96 Militia

This will narrow the search and you can see actually two possible James Smith's from Wolverhampton. The surname is common so these could be anyone however its possible. Militia records could cover the birth span of your James because many young men enlisted in the militia.

Any idea when your James was born ?

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby apowell » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:25 am

Hi,

Just an after thought these Militia papers don't give parents names but will give you the persons residence prior 12 months to signing up and other useful details.

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby spes123 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:00 am

Hi Adrian

Thank you again for the help unfortunately the record on findmypast appears not to be my James Smith as the Attestation date of 1898 does not fit with the 1901 census where he is living with is parents and working as a Colliery Engine Driver.

His date of birth is between 1884 and 1890.

Kind Regards

Simon
spes123

Postby apowell » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:19 am

Hi Simon,

Oh well never mind it was a long shot but good luck.

Kind regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby spes123 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:27 am

The way I look at it is kind of taking a leaf out of Eddisons book I have found one more that isn't him meaning I have one less to check :wink:
spes123

Return to Archived Topics