George Ashmore

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

George Ashmore

Postby nessa » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:43 pm

George Ashmore born about 1855 Birmingham parents John and Mary Ashmore in 1861 his mother mary 37 widow and her children are living at Talbot Street All Saints Birmingham George is 6. By 1871 his mother hs died and his siblings are mainly in service, I can't find him in 1871 but in 1881 census there is a George Ashmore 26 born Birmingham at Aldershot South Camp 95th regiment soldier. I am wondering if he had no home perhaps he joined the army, is there anyway of finding papers on his enlistment which may give his parents names?

Thanks nessa
nessa

Re: George Ashmore

Postby apowell » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:45 am

Hi,

It's possible this is the same person but it will be very difficult to confirm without finding any military papers etc.

I found his little sister Louisa on the 1871 census at the new orphan house in Gloucestershire :(

Any idea if his full name was George William James Ashmore because I found military discharge papers:

George William James Ashmore
born 1855, Soho, Birmingham
Enlisted: 27th September 1879
26th Brigade
Reg no.2208

This is most likely the same George listed with the 95th Regiment on the census returns but you would need to check the contents of the above on findmypast to confirm his personnel details. I haven't got a subscription for this site but maybe someone who has could kindly do a look up :wink:

Adrian
apowell

Postby nessa » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for the reply I don't have anymore information about his birth other than born Birmingham 1855, I don't have subscription to FMP so perhaps some may have a look for me. As he is a 2nd cousin 3x removed I won't be sending for a birth certificate.

I also found his younger sister orphan at Gloucester wonder how she got there from Birmingham.

nessa
nessa

Postby nessa » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi Adrian,

Have just found George William James Ashmore baptism on the Birmingham records he was baptized along with 3 of his sisters address Talbot Street parents John and Mary Ashmore.

Thanks for your help

Vanessa
nessa

Return to Archived Topics