Albert Hooper 1888

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Albert Hooper 1888

Postby mjay » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:23 pm

This Albert Hooper
http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/fa ... per-Family

Recieved some info from family that Albert was in home guard based in Bilston,
I'm trying to find any info on this, think I might need to go to wolverhampton archives.
I have info on ww1 he was in RAOC

Was his time spent in home guard recorded?
would he have received anything for doing this?

I can't find anything on ancestry!

Thanx
Mandy
Researching: Yates,Hunt,Brookes,Artess,Sheldon,Thornton,Hooper,Crowley,Lacy,Downes,Weaver,Artess
mjay

Re: Albert Hooper 1888

Postby spes123 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:59 pm

Mandy

I believe that all Home Guard records are still held by the MOD so you would need to apply to them but see this quote from the .gov website https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

How to apply for Home Guard Service records
Information contained within the Home Guard records is very limited. With a few exceptions it normally consists of one double sided A4 sheet of paper (Army Form W3066) containing personal details on enlistment and very little else. No details are held of the duties performed by an individual during his service.

As required for requests for the records of service of Service personnel, there is also a non-refundable administration charge of £30 and it should be noted that a considerable proportion of searches for Home Guard records prove to be unsuccessful. The sparse information contained in the Home Guard records is normally provided in full.

Wolverhampton Archives may hold some general info about the history of the unit, I am going there tomorrow so if you like can ask if they do have anything and let you know, might save you a journey.

Si
spes123

Postby mjay » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:10 pm

I've found this
http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/Dother ... affshg.htm

Aww Thanks really appreciate it

Mandy 8)
Researching: Yates,Hunt,Brookes,Artess,Sheldon,Thornton,Hooper,Crowley,Lacy,Downes,Weaver,Artess
mjay

Postby spes123 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi Mandy

Wolverhampton Archives do have a fair bit about the BIlston Home Guard, Mainly unnamed photographs and lots of articles in The Black Country Bugle. They also have a book called

"Home Guard List 1941 Western Command " Which list officers serving in all the different home guard groups etc. Unfortunately Albert Hooper is not listed under the Bilston Battalion.

Cheers
Si
spes123

Postby mjay » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanx Si
Appreciate the look ups

Mandy :-)
mjay

Postby mjay » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:23 pm

Received some info that Albert was in Bilston ARP during the war, not home guard.
I Believe he was based at Bilston Town Hall.
mjay

Return to Archived Topics