Royal Ulster Rifles - COMPLETED

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Royal Ulster Rifles - COMPLETED

Postby descartes46 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:16 pm

I received a wedding certificate for my great-grandfather John Albert BAKER (1901-1974) and it listed his occupation as Royal Ulster Rifles. He was married in Ootacamund, India 1926, so I'm assuming his regiment was stationed there during this period.

I'd really like to find out a more about his time in service (i.e when he enlisted, whether he got any medals). Are there any military records available free online? I have a subscription with ancestry but cant find anything specific to my g-grandfather. Would be good to hear from somebody experienced with tracing army ancestors.

Thanks,
Descartes

PS. Sorry, I think I've posted this in the wrong area!?! :/
Last edited by descartes46 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
descartes46

Location: University of Wales, Newport. Caerleon Campus, Wales.

Re: Royal Ulster Rifles

Postby apowell » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:33 am

Hi,

Yes you can obtain these records but they are only available to the next of kin or the actual person and the procedure to obtain these records are strict due to the Data protection laws of the UK.

This link below will explain the procedure you need to complete to obtain these records but just a word of warning make sure you have sent all the information requested or they will be returned and you'll have to start the procedure all over again.

http://www.veterans-uk.info

This website will give you all the procedures, information and a downloadable application form (just click on the Service Records, Medals & Badges link on the right hand screen). These records are not available to view online due to data protection laws and a fee will need to be paid but all this information is given on the website I posted.

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby descartes46 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:02 pm

apowell wrote:Hi,

Yes you can obtain these records but they are only available to the next of kin or the actual person and the procedure to obtain these records are strict due to the Data protection laws of the UK.

This link below will explain the procedure you need to complete to obtain these records but just a word of warning make sure you have sent all the information requested or they will be returned and you'll have to start the procedure all over again.

http://www.veterans-uk.info

This website will give you all the procedures, information and a downloadable application form (just click on the Service Records, Medals & Badges link on the right hand screen). These records are not available to view online due to data protection laws and a fee will need to be paid but all this information is given on the website I posted.

Regards
Adrian

Hi Adrian,
Thanks for the info. It's good to hear that I should be able to get hold of my g-grandfather's army records! Gosh, they certainly charge a fair bit, but I'm sure it will be worth it.
Descartes
descartes46

Postby MarkCDodd » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:02 pm

Trouble is you are paying for a search, not a guarantee of records.

They might find one of two pages of generic information like they did for one relative of mine or dozens of detailed information like they did for another.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby descartes46 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:05 am

MarkCDodd wrote:Trouble is you are paying for a search, not a guarantee of records.

They might find one of two pages of generic information like they did for one relative of mine or dozens of detailed information like they did for another.

Hi Mark, it does seem awfully expensive, but fingers crossed I might strike lucky and find some interesting stuff about my g-grandfather's army career! :)
descartes46

Return to Archived Topics