What regiment please?

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

What regiment please?

Postby SRD » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:37 pm

Can anyone help identify the regiment etc. of the man in the picture?
It was probably taken in 1919 and the serviceman may have been any one of the following:
Albert Hillman b 1902 Ditchling, Sussex
George Hillman b 1899 Ditchling, Sussex
James Hillman b 1898 Ditchling, Sussex
Ernest J Hillman b 1891 Bolney, Sussex
William Henry Hillman b 1890, Cowfold, Sussex.
If anyone can find out anything else about his military history I would be grateful.
Thanks.
Attachments
Hillmanserviceman1919.jpg
Hillmanserviceman1919.jpg (60.26 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Re: What regiment please?

Postby apowell » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:30 am

Hi,

It's very difficult to tell the because he doesn't seem fully dressed military with no puttees cap or lapel badges visible and the stripes etc on his arm are most likely connected to good conduct, wound and foreign service awards.

I think you would be better posting on a specialized forum:

1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums

I would be very interested if you find out any further information.

Good luck
Adrian
apowell

Postby SRD » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:09 am

Thanks. I'll do that.
SRD

Postby SRD » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:01 am

Info received so far:
The Man pictured is a Private, to me regiment unknown, on his right sleeve he has 2 overseas chevrons indicating service in two years overseas.The star patch i dont know.On his left sleeve the single vertical stripe is a wound stripe indicating having been wounded once.Above that is one good conduct chevron indicating i think 2 years without an entry on his conduct sheet.There appears to be a badge just above but i dont know what.He is wearing medal ribbons which i am assuming are The British War And Victory Medals.I would say you are rightish in dating this i would say 1919 at the earliest.I am sure the star patch will be recognised by someone
SRD

Postby apowell » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:40 am

Hi,

apowell wrote:Hi,

the stripes etc on his arm are most likely connected to good conduct, wound and foreign service awards.

Interesting and looks like I was on the right track with the markings on his uniforms anf given he was wounded he may have received the SWB which could narrow our search.

I'll take a look at the SWB records for any possible matches.

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby peterd » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:14 pm

think the uniform might be to do with the revolution in russian and the white army ?

"On upper arm with the White Star is that of the British North Russia Relief Force of 1919 "

http://www.militarybadges.org.uk/photos90.htm
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby SRD » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:51 pm

The wedding my man is attending was in the December quarter of 1919 so he may have been recently home from Russia but he is wearing the Star on the right arm not the left. I'll contact the poster on the link you've given to see if he can help any further.
SRD

Postby peterd » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:55 pm

poss on both shoulders unless that a brooch on the women lapel ?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby SRD » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:05 am

It seems to have been worn on either, or both, upper arms. If it's both that might account for the left upper arm insignia as well. The dates of the expedition don't help much either. We already know that Albert was too young to have served for the length of time required. I can't find much out about George. Although James married in the quarter the forces departed his first child wasn't born 'til nearly a year after they returned so could still be a possibility and the other two look a bit old to match the photo but may have been youthful.
I can't find suitable service records for any Hillmans who might match any of the brothers.
SRD

Postby gardener » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:48 am

I wonder if it was George?

Medal card of Hillman, George
Corps: Royal Sussex Regiment
Regiment No: L/10956

the medal card for this shows that he was in R Suss R/ R W Kent Reg/ R Suss R which would fit OK with this information maybe?
http://www.1914-1918.net/sussex.htm

11th (Service) Battalion (1st South Down)
Formed at Bexhill on 7 September 1914 by Lieut-Col. Lowther, MP and Committee. Moved to Maidstone in July 1915 and then adopted by the War Office. Moved to Aldershot in September 1915.
October 1915 : moved to Witley and attached to 116th Brigade in 39th Division.
Landed at Le Havre in March 1916.
23 May 1918 : reduced to cadre strength.
30 June 1918 : transferred to 75th Brigade in 25th Division. Moved back to England, going to Aldershot.
July 1918 : absorbed the 13th Bn, the Royal West Kents.
9 September 1918: Brigade renamed 236th Brigade and left Division. Sailed from Dundee for North Russia 17 October 1918.

I'm way out of my comfort zone here though :-) so perhaps someone else could look at it and see if the medal roll numbers would fit?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby SRD » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:31 am

Thanks, unfortunately there seem to have been more than one George Hillman from the area in the records. It doesn't help that I haven't been able to find him in the records after he left home. I suppose I'll have to wait 'til the 1921 census is released.
SRD

Postby feral-underclass » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:18 am

you could see if they hold the absent voters registers of the 1918 general election at sussex history centre, the voting age at the time was 21 but men aged 19 serving overseas were allowed to vote! which was very nice of them :lol:
feral-underclass

Postby SRD » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:02 am

Dangerous I'd have thought. It's more difficult to feel good towards your Lords and Masters when sheltering in a dug out with the muck and bullets flying.

Thanks for the tip.
SRD

Return to Archived Topics