Evans brothers WWI

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Evans brothers WWI

Postby expat66 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:35 pm

I was going back over what I have for Levi Evans born 1884 Joinings Bank.
When I had looked at this before, I don't think I had looked at all the pages of the miltary records there are for him.

Now I see that on page 4 where it lists next of kin there is the following..

Levi Evans next of kin.jpg
Levi Evans next of kin.jpg (18.46 KiB) Viewed 1437 times

Does that say ... brothers elder?
and is that 2 brothers ... one called William and one called Ephraim
... or one called William Ephraim?
If it is the right Levi .... I do have on my tree that he had 2 older brothers .... William born 1875, Langley ...and Ephraim born 1878 Langley
This family is on BCC here....http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/fa ... ans-Family

and what are those abbreviations next to the name Ephraim? ... is it II Cornwall Light Infantry?
Does this mean that both or one of the other brothers had also joined up?
I don't yet have any more info.. on William or Ephraim

On another note ... under his father's name it says West Bromwich Union .... does that mean his father was in the workhouse?

Thankyou
Expat
expat66

Re: Evans brothers WWI

Postby feral-underclass » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:04 pm

dcli is duke of cornwall light infantry
feral-underclass

Postby apowell » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi,

Levi was a professional soldier joining up at 18 years old 12 Aug 1902 serving mostly at home but in 1903 he served in South Africa for 3 years (after the Boer War) and also serving in France (1st Battalion) from 21 Aug 1914-7 Dec 1914 then posted to Home before being discharged 11 Aug 1915. He was discharged after 13 years due to completed length of service. His papers state he was a very good soldier in receipt of two good conduct badges and receiving an exemplary character-clean, honest & sober man.

In 1912 at Tidworth a report stated he was injured while roller skating around the Barracks where he fell sustaining a sprained ankle resulting in hospital treatment. The report concluded by a panel it was by accident and not intentional so no further action was taken :lol: The Army God Bless em'

You are correct in thinking his brother Ephraim was also serving with the DCLI because on Levis papers it stated the reason he wanted to join the Regiment in 1902 was to serve with his brother. This would explain why a Black Country lad would want to join a Regiment from Cornwall but why his elder brother joined in the first place who knows ?

His medal index card states he was awarded the British & Victory medals but not the rarer 1914 star and ooking at the criteria for the 1914 star it looks like he would have just missed the criteria sering overseas after 5th Aug 1914 :

The 1914 Star (colloquially known as the Mons Star) was a British Empire campaign medal for service in World War I.
The 1914 Star was approved in 1917, for issue to officers and men of British forces who served in France or Belgium between 5 August and midnight 22/23 November 1914. The former date is the day after Britain's declaration of war against the Central Powers, and the closing date marks the end of the First Battle of Ypres. The majority of recipients were officers and men of the pre-war British army, specifically the British Expeditionary Force (the Old Contemptibles), who landed in France soon after the outbreak of the War and who took part in the Retreat from Mons (hence the nickname 'Mons Star'). 365,622 were awarded in total.[1] Recipients of this medal also received the British War Medal and Victory Medal. These three medals were sometimes irreverently referred to as Pip, Squeak and Wilfred.

A very similar medal, the 1914-15 Star, was also issued, but no person could receive both awards.

He would have also just missed out on the 1914-15 Star award returning to England prior 31 December 1915.

The 1914-15 Star was a campaign medal of the British Empire, for service in World War I.
The 1914-15 Star was approved in 1918, for issue to officers and men of British and Imperial forces who served in any theatre of the War between 5 August 1914 and 31 December 1915 (other than those who had already qualified for the 1914 Star).

The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry
Battalions of the Regular Army
1st Battalion

August 1914 : in Ireland (at the Curragh). Part of 14th Brigade in 5th Division. Landed at Le Havre 15 August 1914.

14th Brigade in 5th Division
The Battle of Mons
23-24 August 1914
'Our first battle is a heavy, unheard of heavy, defeat, and against the English - the English we had laughed at. (Walter Bloem, Reserve Captain, 12th Brandenburg Grenadier Regiment, in his autobiographical work 'Vormarsch')'

Elements of the British Expeditionary Force which took part in this engagement:
Cavalry Division
5th Cavalry Brigade
I Corps (Haig): 1st and 2nd Divisions
II Corps: (Smith-Dorrien): 3rd and 5th Divisions
19th Infantry Brigade

The 5th Division was involved in most of the early major battles of 1914 and I would assume Levi was part of all these engagements and one of the famous 'Old Comtemptables'.

I really could go on forever but I suggest you google on the internet and you'll find lots and lots of general information on the DCLI. Interestingly Harry Patch the last Tommy served with the same Regiment but not until later on in the war 1916 or 1917.

Any questions you have just post them we'll try to help because this is a very interesting topic.

I'll have a look into Levis's older brother and see what I can find out about him.

Regards
Adrian
Last edited by apowell on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
apowell

Postby expat66 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:59 pm

feral-underclass wrote:dcli is duke of cornwall light infantry

.. so a 'D' not a II :-)
Thanks for that

....and thanks for all that info. Adrian :P
Very interesting stuff.... I will show all this to my youngest son... he is fascinated by anything to do with military history.

It would be nice to track down Levi's older brother too.

Expat
expat66

Postby apowell » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi again,

You're in luck because I can answer alot of your questions and maybe some extra information :grin:

I can confirm that William & Ephraim were two older brothers of Levi and Ephraim did indeed serve in the DCLI Regiment with Levi.

Name: Ephraim Evans
Regiment: DCLI
Regiment No: 6101
Date & place enlisted: Birmingham, 1900
Places served:
Home 1-1-00 until 4-1-01
Ceylon 5-1-01 until 27-11-02
South Africa 28-11-02 until 13-7-03
Home 14-7-03 until 17-6-05
Gibralter 18-6-05 until 3-11-07
Home 4-11-05 until 31-12-11
Date Discharged: 31st December 1911

Ephraim joined up and served with South Staffordshire Regiment during the First World War and was awarded the following medals:
1915 Star
Britiah & Victory medals

He served overseas on the 5-12-15 with the 7th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment until being demobbed Feb 1919.

South Staffordshire Regiment
Battalions of the New Armies
7th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Lichfield in August 1914 as part of K1 and became part of 33rd Brigade in 11th (Northern) Division. Moved initially to Grantham. Moved to Frensham in April 1915.
Sailed from Liverpool in early July 1915 for Gallipoli, landing at Suvla Bay 7 August 1915.
Evacuated from Gallipoli December 1915, moved to Egypt via Imbros.
Moved to France in July 1916.

He saw action towards the end of the Galipoli campaign (fighting the Turks) most likely sent to replace the terrible losses suffered previously by the Battalion and most likely also served in France but his records are incomplete so I'm not sure after Galipoli if he remained with the Battalion.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby apowell » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi again,

I forgot to mention that on Ephraims Attestion papers his brother William H Evans 'HMS Formidable' is mentioned so his other brother must also have served in the military (Royal Navy).

I have no further information on William but it's possible he also served in the Great War.

Wow these brothers saw alot of military service.

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby expat66 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:36 am

Thankyou so much Adrian for all that info.

Can you imagine what stories those 3 brothers could have told!

I mainly use 'Ancestry.co.uk' for searching for records and have only been able to find the military records for Levi. Where would I need to look to find Ephraim & William's records?

The only military records I can see on 'Ancestry' for an Ephraim Evans are for one born in 1882, who was married to a Ruth Evans, and I think this one must be a different one to the Ephraim I am interested in?

Thankyou again
Expat :P
expat66

Postby apowell » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi,

The records mentioned I found on another well known site :wink: but all the information I've already given.

William the other brother served in the Royal Navy and I think those records are kept at the National Archives in Kew and are not available to view online but I'm not really sure about Navy records :? .

All the best.
Adrian
apowell

Postby peterd » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:58 pm

apowell wrote:Hi,

The records mentioned I found on another well known site :wink: but all the information I've already given.

William the other brother served in the Royal Navy and I think those records are kept at the National Archives in Kew and are not available to view online but I'm not really sure about Navy records :? .

All the best.
Adrian

hi adrian think there are some records online found this whilst looking into one of mine

http://www.naval-history.net/index.htm

no evans on Casualty Lists

http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1915-01Jan.htm
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Return to Archived Topics