Sgt Cyril Hodgetts Regt.No: 30407

Discussion relating to research into specific individuals.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Sgt Cyril Hodgetts Regt.No: 30407

Postby Waltzer7 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:26 am

Hi,

As my Grandad, Cyril Hodgetts never fought in the war, was wondering how he got promoted to Sergeant? How would I go about finding this out, please?

All I know is that Cyril Hodgetts, as Range Warden, played a part in starting up Local Defence Volunteers, which later became the Halesowen Home Guards. They used to have meetings at the White Lion, Windmill Hill, Cradley. Cyril was in charge of running the open range at Witley Colliery, Halesowen where he would have been looking after ammunitions, setting up targets, etc. He was a member of the 5th Worcs.Home Guard. No.19 Platoon 'C' Coy.
Waltzer7

Re: Sgt Cyril Hodgetts Regt.No: 30407

Postby BC Wench » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:18 pm

See this link

http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/Dother ... g.htm#hale

click on Halesowen, then click on 5th Worcestershire (Halesowen) Battalion, scroll down the page and you'll see 4 men with the name Hodgetts.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Re: Sgt Cyril Hodgetts Regt.No: 30407

Postby Waltzer7 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:15 pm

Thank you, Wench.

It is the Halesowen Home Guard who are asking me to provide more of my Grandad's background as they are doing short summaries on each member for their website. Apart from old photos and a couple of records, the latter found via Ancestry, I don't have much on Grandad's Army training, etc and was wondering how or where best to find other sources.
Waltzer7

Return to Researching Individuals