Lt HAH Mould and A N Other Mould

Discussion relating to research into specific individuals.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Lt HAH Mould and A N Other Mould

Postby Stan Mould » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:43 am

I could do with some help from anyone with better search skills than I have. I started my Mould family research in 1980 and have done it on and off since then, more off than on perhaps.

Anyway, quite some years ago, probably at least 20, could be more, I did a search on my father HAH (Hubert Alfred Hill) Mould and came up with a short article from a Black Country publication which I can't remember, to say that Lieutenant HAH Mould had met a Mould whose first name I don't remember who was an Other Rank (I think maybe Lance Corporal) Mould in King Street, Bilston (may have been Lord Street) in the late 1910s/early 1920s.

At the time I was surprised because in those days it was rare for officers and ORs to mix socially, and also because the working class venue was a far cry from my father's middle class birthplace of Beeches Road in West Bromwich.

It sounds a bit snobby now, but in those days 100 years ago, society ran on very strict class lines.

Some years ago I discovered that my 3-greats uncle David Mould (1798 - c. 1868) moved from Hanmer just inside Flintshire to Batman's hill in Bradley where he was a labourer.

I haven't researched that side of the family much, just the basics, but I am now pretty sure that the possible Lance Corporal Mould must have been a descendant of David so a relation of my father, and hence of me.

I would love to do further work on this branch and I am sure he is the key because there is/was another Stanley Mould in Bradley (actually it was Woodcross) in recent years past. I spoke to him many years ago on the phone, but we couldn't establish a connnection at the time although I wonder if it's possible now what with Google etc.

I have tried searching for that article I first mentioned on and off for years but never found it again, but I remember it was at the top of my search results at the time I did it all those years ago.

It could have been in the Black Country Magazine or Bugle but I have tried searching them to no avail so perhaps something else Black Country related.

Can anyone help me get to the bottom of this?
Stan Mould

Re: Lt HAH Mould and A N Other Mould

Postby gardener » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:19 pm

Anyway, quite some years ago, probably at least 20, could be more, I did a search on my father HAH (Hubert Alfred Hill) Mould and came up with a short article from a Black Country publication which I can't remember, to say that Lieutenant HAH Mould had met a Mould whose first name I don't remember who was an Other Rank (I think maybe Lance Corporal) Mould in King Street, Bilston (may have been Lord Street) in the late 1910s/early 1920s.

I had a look but could not find that article either. There used to be stuff easily accessible (from the Bugle for example) and it has all been hidden away now.

Anyhow, if they met in the late 1910s/early 1920s then AN Other must have survived the war, which of course makes it much harder to find him. Have you checked out all (any?) of Hubert's male first cousins? There must be a lot of them and if you can cross off some then it might make it possible to check the rest before moving on to the multitude of second cousins.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Re: Lt HAH Mould and A N Other Mould

Postby Stan Mould » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:16 pm

gardener wrote:

I had a look but could not find that article either. There used to be stuff easily accessible (from the Bugle for example) and it has all been hidden away now.

Anyhow, if they met in the late 1910s/early 1920s then AN Other must have survived the war, which of course makes it much harder to find him. Have you checked out all (any?) of Hubert's male first cousins? There must be a lot of them and if you can cross off some then it might make it possible to check the rest before moving on to the multitude of second cousins.

Well, yes, obviously they both survived the First War or they couldn't have met! :-)

Do you have any idea how this hidden away stuff can be accessed?
Stan Mould

Return to Researching Individuals