Frenchman

Discussion relating to research into specific individuals.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Frenchman

Postby Claire154 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:57 pm

Hello, I am new to the forum so hope that you can help me.
Apologies in advance if I am not following protocol but I am a beginner on this site.
I do Ancestry. Co. UK & had a great uncle who was a prisoner of war in ww1. In his possession he had a photograph of a Frenchman called Jean Tournat (possibly Journat.) It was a posed photo of him from a studio. He was in the 2nd battalion chasse a pied. It says he died 10th October 1914. I am interested in looking into this man but my French is poor & I don't have worldwide ancestry. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can go online to find out more about him? My great uncle also had a photograph of him & an assortment of soldiers, some English, French and Russian including possibly Jean Tournat, my guess it is as POW's, maybe after liberation.
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, it would be lovely to find his descendants or museum to pass the photo on to.
Claire154

Re: Frenchman

Postby SRD » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:13 am

This page from Family Search may give you a few leads. Also googling French Military Records.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Re: Frenchman

Postby gardener » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:47 am

Hi

There is this site
https://www.theworldremembers.org/search-the-names
which has French names
and also
https://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr/

I tried variations of spellings and could not find him. I wondered too if he could have been Belgian rather than French, since they seem to have had chasseurs à pied too (or so Wikipedia says)

It would be good if you could pin down the spelling of his name :-)
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Return to Researching Individuals