Was my Grandfather in the Military?

Discussion relating to research into specific individuals.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Was my Grandfather in the Military?

Postby philthegill » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:30 pm

Hi All

I am trying to trace my family history down my Father's line....

I have got as far as the Marriage Certificate of my Grandparents, William James Wells & Hilda Walter. I am presently stuck trying to track back my Grandfather who married my Grandmother in 1922. Looking at his entry on the register, I am wondering whether he was in the Armed Forces.

MC_Wells_WJ_Walter_H-crop.jpeg
William Wells
MC_Wells_WJ_Walter_H-crop.jpeg (214.51 KiB) Viewed 2826 times

Would anyone be able to interpret his entry and confirm if it looks as if he was in the services? If so could someone point me towards where I could find details of his service?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Phil
philthegill

Re: Was my Grandfather in the Military?

Postby rockyfowler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:17 pm

Hi you found him on 1901 and 1911 OK? (It looks like he may have enlisted by his occupation)
Kind Regards RF
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby SRD » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:38 am

Could be he was called up and decided to stay on after WWI was over. Unfortunately many of the WWI military records were destroyed during WWII. However, googling "William Wells" Royal Engineers driver throws up three entries at Forces War Records (a paid for site) referring to :
William James Wells Driver R.E 301426 for years 1914 & 1917 if that's any help.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby philthegill » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:18 am

Thanks folks

Yes a WJW appears in 1901 & 1911 with correct Father's name but living in Suffolk which is a good 100+ miles away from where he pops up in Chatham. Being in the services would be a good explanation for the move as there is an RE Barracks in the Medway Towns.

I didn't know about the War Forces Record site so am going to go and have a look there. I'm also awaiting the death cert because I'm pretty sure I have found a match for that.

Phil
philthegill

Return to Researching Individuals