Missing records

Discussion relating to research into specific individuals.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Missing records

Postby Stirrick » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:54 pm

I have my Grandfather's army discharge papers from the First World War - he served from 1916 to 1919.

However I can find nothing regarding his service on-line. Literally nothing, even though I have enlistment / discharge dates, Regiments and a service number.

I know many service records were lost due to bombing during World War Two, but surely there must be something ??

Can anybody inform me if this is possible ?
Stirrick

Re: Missing records

Postby BC Wench » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:25 pm

My Gt Uncle served in WW1 and died in 1917. The only details I've managed to find are his Medal Card Index, he's listed on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site, but I did manage to find the War Diaries of what happened on the day he died, but obviously no names are mentioned. So his papers must be in the burnt papers!

If you let us know your Grandfather's name perhaps somebody can help especially Adrian who is the Moderator in this section.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Re: Missing records

Postby Stirrick » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I thought the medal rolls were the minimum I'd find, but he's just not there !!

His discharge papers were a little tattered, so I'm missing some details, but what I have is:

Patrick Monaghan
Private, 20364
Enlisted, 7 January,1916
? Dragoons
South Irish Horse
? Lancers
To Reserve, 4 March,1919

I was told by my aunt - a fountain of family history - that he served in Mesopotamia, and I have in my possession a bead-snake that was made by Turkish POW's and traded to him.

Any suggestions grateully received.

Andy
Stirrick

Return to Researching Individuals