Atkins crew, 148 Squadron 1944-45

Discussion relating to research into specific individuals.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Atkins crew, 148 Squadron 1944-45

Postby Pat Atkins » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for any information out there relating to my late uncle Don Atkins's crew from 148 (Special Duties) Squadron in the period 1944-1945. The original crew were:

D.C. Atkins (pilot)
E.F. Lock (air bomber)
W.A. Belson DFC (navigator)
A.S. Allen (navigator, from March 1945)
D. Sullivan (wireless operator/air gunner)
J. Allcock (flight engineer)
B.A. Lawler (air gunner)
J. Sharples (air gunner)

They flew one operation dropping supplies into southern France from N. Africa with 624 (SD) Squadron at the end of August 1944, in a Short Stirling aircraft, then were transferred to 148 Sqdn at Brindisi, part of the Balkan Air Force. From October 1944 until VE Day they flew a further 36 operations in Halifaxes dropping supplies, parachutists - and on one occasion (Operation Tombola) a jeep - into Yugoslavia, N. Italy, southern Austria. Don died in 1966 and having pieced together his war service I'd love to find out anything about the other members of the crew. All were British as far as I know apart from William Belson and Stuart Allen the navigators, who were both Australian.

in return, if anyone is interested I have some of the ORBs of 148 Sqdn and would be happy to do a look-up if requested - I've got them for each month from September 1944-May 1945, plus the Appendices 1944-46 which includes a full squadron aircrew roster for November and December 1944. And for those particularly interested in 624 Sqdn I'd recommend the excellent http://www.624squadron.org/ while for 148 Sqdn there is a Yahoo Group called Dark Of The Moon , a wonderful online community and repository of knowledge.

Cheers, Pat
Pat Atkins

Return to Researching Individuals