Francis Gallagher

Discussion relating to research into specific individuals.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Francis Gallagher

Postby mumbles » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:05 pm

Relative gave me this info but I cannot find him on usual sites and wish to find details of his parents or wife

Sgt Frank Gallagher, or Francis he died 23/7/1938 and was 65yrs old which would leave him born 1873 he died in Strabane County Tyrone district hospital he lived in courtrai park in strabane his address on admission to St. Dunstan was butchers street Strabane. in Oct 1927 moved to 3 courtrai park. He died on 23rd July 1938.He saw service in the South African war, Boer War,and in the Indian frontier campaign. He re-enlisted on 12.5.1915 and was wounded again and lost the other eye at the Dardanelles in 1916 (discharged 19/7/1916) he did not come to St. Dunstans till 1921. On account of his own and his wifes health it was not possible for him to take up any serious training he completed a course in typewriting, netting and wool rugs. He served initially with the Inniskillen Fusiliers. I think his regiment number may have been 3715?? Private 2nd battalion and moved on to serve the Royal Munster Fusiliers service number 6/5078
Medals awarded ,Queens South African medal (1899 to1902) with Orange Free State clasps, Transvaal clasp, South Africa 1902 clasp, Indian general service medal (1895 to 1900) with Punjab Frontier clasp and Tirah clasp. His wife Julia, I think her maiden name is O'Neil. He lost his speech and sight of his remaining eye in Gallipoli.
mumbles

Return to Researching Individuals