William James Beattie - Antrim RGRA and Seaforth Highlanders

Discussion relating to research into specific individuals.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

William James Beattie - Antrim RGRA and Seaforth Highlanders

Postby Dig » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:01 pm

Hi all,

I would appreciate your help in finding out more about William Beattie's service during WW1.

William was born on 19 August 1892 in Aughnagurgan, County Armagh, Northern Ireland. Son of Joseph and Essie Jane Beattie.

In the 1911 census, he is recorded as living at 5 Brick Lane, Portadown, County Armagh, Northern Ireland.

He married Jane Ann Pearson at St Mark's Church Portadown on 13th September 1916. On the marriage record, it states that he was a private in the 4th Seaforth Highlanders and residing somewhere in France at the time.

I have found his service record but believe this to be incomplete. His regimental number is recorded as 5618. The record is for the army reserve and states that he was attested as a gunner to the Antrim RGRA in Belfast on 14 February 1913. He was mobilized at Newhaven on 5th August 1914 and deserted on 5th June 1915.

He died in 1949 but I cannot find his death record. This is all I know.

Many thanks,

John
If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree.
Dig

Re: William James Beattie - Antrim RGRA and Seaforth Highlan

Postby BC Wench » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:27 pm

There are more pages of William Beattie, regimental number 5618 on Ancestry and FMP.

This looks like William's burial on Find A Grave

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/256 ... am-beattie

If you scroll down the page, under See more Beattie memorials, click on Carnmoney Cemetery Main and there you will see more Beattie surnames and William's mother Essie Jane "Jean" Beattie is on there as well

Hope this helps.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Re: William James Beattie - Antrim RGRA and Seaforth Highlan

Postby BC Wench » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:37 pm

Did you manage to view this web site John?
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Researching Individuals