Black Country Tales

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Re: Black Country Tales

Postby linell » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:12 am

Oh goodness what a culture shock for you heathen boys from Oldbury Rob, I can imagine :shock: <LOL> Must have shown you how the other half lived, we know who the real men were though, sorry Jackie :!: Lin.
linell

Postby linell » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:17 am

Hi Jackienock, seems like the extreme violence was a price to pay for a good education, wonder if Eton also had it's share of violent corporal punishment. I remember one particular teacher at School in Halesowen who was always slapping someone, one day he repeatedly banged one poor boy's head in the desk, I can remember how uncomfortable I felt just watching it. Our grandchildren need the good education without the corporal punishment. Lin.
linell

Postby cid » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:09 pm

linell wrote:
"Marely" her says, "Ay it a gearm, ar cor wirk arn bosted me ballies. Ar cor pay thee but dow thee tell im (her husband), or eel kill ma"

That's classic BC Jackienock, wonder if they still speak with such a strong BC accent today, I haven't noticed it to be so broad when I have been over there shopping, or to the Library, don't know what it is like in the back streets of Cradley Heath though? Linell.

Hi Linell,

You need to visit the library when my Mom is in there..... I was recently having a conversation at work when I told them that even now if my Mom sees me eating chocolate she's most likely to say ' Theest be as fat as a Tunkey Pig (I haven't a clue what one is) if thee ates all that' Or if I'm going sonewhere she disapproves of it will be ' Thee bisn't gooin theer bist?' How bist me mon? was always the favourite greeting of my mother in law on seeing my eldest son. Even now if we all get together it's most definately the broad BC accent that's uppermost.

Cid
cid

Postby linell » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:58 pm

<LOL> Cid, I must have missed your Mom then, not heard spake like that for a long time :!: Linell.
linell

Previous

Return to General and Social Black Country History