Aliases used around 17th and 18th Century Rowley Regis

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Aliases used around 17th and 18th Century Rowley Regis

Postby Margarett » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:36 pm

While trying to make sense of my Johnson alias Hunt ancestors in Rowley Regis, I came across some other families that were using aliases at the same time- late 17th into 18th century. I thought researchers might find a list useful as mine seem to use both, or either of the names. So here goes in little old Rowley Regis between 1690 and 1750(all I've looked at so far):
Johnson alias Hunt
Weely alias Smith
Gad alias Jones(lots of those)
Richards alias Tayler(lots of those too)
Pickrell alias Traunter
Jones alias Martyn/Marten
Person/Parsons alias Little
Bissell alias Gurder
Parkes alias Clement
Parkes alias Litchfield
Parkes alias Spindlow
Parkes alias Turvey
Priest alias Mosey
Priest alias Brusher
Clement alias Barnaba
and one for NL..........Ruston alias Crapper!
Hope this info will help people who are researching in that period.
Margaret
Margarett

Re: Aliases

Postby linell » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:24 pm

Where did that list come from Margaret? I have a list from the Poll Book 1747, some of them should be the same as yours?
Daniel Ruston
Will Parkes
John Pearsall
Joseph Hipkiss
Job Price
Richard Bate
Enoch Rowlaston
James Hadley
Richard Stevens
John Dunn
Joseph Woodhouse
Samuel Stevens
John Tibbetts
Joseph Fletcher
Thomas Coleborn
John Darby
John Haden
Andrew Rollinson
Samuel Smart
Josiah Ruston
B. Andrew Willetts
Samuel Hughes
John Turton
John Gaunt Jnr
John Bate
Jeremiah Bach

I suppose back then you could call yourself what took your fancy! Mind you Rowley Regis was a strong loyalist community, it was the Kings Regis. Funny there are no Johnson's or Hunts in my list. I also have a list of Land Owners for 1781, will post that on here also.

Land Owners Lower Rowley Regis 1781: Thomas Sidaway, Joseph Parsons Littley, Tobias Nock, Thomas Danks, John Aynsworth, Samuel Stevens, Widow Plant, Lord Dudley, John Haden, Frederick and Samuel Rolaston, Josiah Gaunt, Dowager Lady Dudley, Jepthah Gaunt, Joseph Bourn, Joseph Hadley, Eleanor Smith, Ferdinand Smith Esq. George Attwood, Thomas Holdbeach, Samuel Willetts, John Tibbetts, John Pearsall, John Carter, Wm Bache, John Heartwell, Richard Bolton, Daniel Dunn, Wm Smart, Thomas Holland, Thomas Hadley, Anthony Willetts, Francis Field, Wm Hughes, George Dunton.

Land Tax Occupiers Upper Rowley Regis 1781: James Woodhouse, Samuel Partridge, Alice Gaunt, Joseph Darby, Edward Round, Joseph Westwood, Josiah Parkes, Joseph Fletcher, Edward Bridgewater, Samuel Willetts, Joseph Yardley, Tobias Nock, William Adams, Benjamin Haden, Issac Hadley, John Hadley, Samuel Siviter, Samuel Wright, James Whorton, Joseph Harris, Samuel Parkes, Joseph Parkes, John Haden, Samuel Newby, Thomas Woodhouse, Widow Cox, James Round, William Whitehouse, Joshua Whitehouse, Samuel Woodhouse, Joshua Woodhouse, Thomas Woodhouse, John Woodhouse, Richard Siviter, Thomas Darby, John Cox, Samuel Johnson, William Brooks, Thomas Brooks, Thomas Green, Christopher Fletcher, John Cotterill, William Brown, Timothy Tilley, John Downing, Widow Willetts, James Mason, Joseph Hall, Widow Homer, John Siviter, Joseph Siviter, Joseph Woodall, Oliver Pitt, Samuel Whitehouse, Samuel Smart, James Whitehouse, William Woodhouse, Issac Downing, William Cox, Roland Bate, John Marsh, Thomas Chambers, John Mucklow, Joseph Hill, John Hipkiss, Joseph Tilley, Richard Southall, James Shaw, Joseph Davies, John Rhodes.

Land Tax Occupiers Upper Rowley Regis 1825: Benjamin Hadley, John Hodgetts, John Hadley, Thomas Smart, Joseph Eley, Roland Bate, William Woodhouse, Mary Stephens, Josiah Parkes, James Mills, John Bridgewater, Edward Bridgewater, Benjamin Clift, Benjamin Sidaway, Joseph Fereday, Samuel Johnson, George Bagley, Samuel Partridge, Thomas Smith, John Downing, Joseph Cox, James Clift, John Willetts, James Round, Joshua Woodhouse, Edward Southall, Benjamin Davies, Daniel Bridgewater, Benjamin Hodgetts, James Nock, George Taylor, Joseph Bowater, Joseph Harper, Paul Russell, Issac Parkes, Joseph Mallen, William Adams, Henry Nock, John Bridge, Joseph Whitehouse, Benjamin Woodhouse.

Is Samuel Johnson one of yours Margaret? Linell
Last edited by linell on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linell

Re: ALIASES used around 17th and 18th Century Rowley Regis

Postby Margarett » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:00 am

Hi all,
I got the list from the parish register, as I was looking for my Johnson alas Hunt's I just made a note of all the others with aliases.
Linnell, I have a Samuel Johnson alias Hunt b about 1722, mine were probably too poor to have been landowners.
I am making some progress sorting out this family and will post it on BC connections eventually. I am also trying to link mine to (H)Eber the nail rioter who also used this alias nearly 200 years later.
Margaret
Margarett

Re: Aliases used around 17th and 18th Century Rowley Regis

Postby gwen » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:00 pm

Eber was my direct ancester born 1824 to Aaron Johnson and Lucy Dingley grandson of Aaron and Mary Johnson and Hunt is on of their alias names , do you think they were doing Moon Light Flits when the rent man was due[ as we say in Yorkshire] :?: :?:
gwen

Postby Margarett » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:04 pm

So far I can't find any reason for them to use an alias for nearly 200 years. Interestingly, although there are lots of baptisms, there aren't many marriages at Rowley for this family. Someone suggested that they may have been dissenters, and while this is possible, they would still have had to have married in the C. of E. at that time.Maybe they were just getting married at Dudley or Clent- I will need to check on the IGI.
Margaret
Margarett

Postby Neville Bastable » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:34 pm

In my ancestry there one of the aliases on Margaret's list. It is Parsons alias Little
Researching parish registers at Rowley Regis and Halesowen back to Tudor times, the family obviously couldn’t make up its mind whether it was Little, Littley or Parsons, sometimes using just one of these names or perhaps Little(y) alias Parsons, Parsons alias Little(y) or even the double barrelled Littley-Parsons. I never discovered why this was.
My 4 times great grandmother was baptised at Rowley Regis as Esther Parsons, daughter of Benjamin Parsons on 3rd May 1747, but married as Esther Little. Her brother Tidal also baptised as Parsons was married as Tidal Littley.
This brother was the ancestor of the then locally well known Parsons family who I believe created Parsons Yard in Cradley, dwellings and chainshops around a courtyard, later called Anvil Yard and demolished in the 1920’s.
Neville Bastable
Neville Bastable

Postby Margarett » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:52 pm

Hi Neville,
I have one of those too. The grandfather of My Elizabeth Parsons b 1743 who was married to Aaron Johnson alias Hunt was Thomas Parsons alias Little(y). So it gets even more complicated! Mine are on BC Connections.
Margaret
Margarett

Postby Neville Bastable » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:28 pm

Hello Margaret,
I have had a look at bcconnections. What a load of Parsons!
My ancestor Esther is there and her son Edward Bastable who is my 3 times greatgrandfather, but no more is shown, so I'll have to do something about that.
Many thanks for your suggestion. I'm still new on this site.
Neville
Neville Bastable

Postby Margarett » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi again, Neville,
This is a great site, and we're always happy to help. Good luck with your research,
Margaret
Margarett

Postby MAPatrick » Thu May 13, 2010 11:41 pm

Litley alias Parsons

Those researchers interested in the Litley - Parsons alias may be interested to see a list of extracted "fragments" connected to the names which I produced about 10 years ago. It is available at:

http://people.exeter.ac.uk/MAPatric/map ... itfrgs.htm
MAPatrick

Postby Margarett » Fri May 14, 2010 12:41 pm

That's interesting. Are you connected then?
Margarett

Postby Neville Bastable » Sun May 16, 2010 10:19 am

Thank you mapatrick, a fascinating piece of work.
Were you ever able to discover the reason for the use of the alias by my Littley/Parsons ancestors?
Neville Bastable
Neville Bastable

Return to General and Social Black Country History