Infectious diseases hospital in Dudley

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Re: Infectious diseases hospital in Dudley

Postby Antie Em » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Yes BCB it is a bit confusing with the areas around here. Tividale was always in Rowley Regis, but came under Dudley for registration. For a time was in the Parliamentary District of Kingswinford, which really is a few miles away. My mom still lives in Tividale which up until the 1970's had a Dudley Post Code but now has a Birmingham Post Code (but that is only for the post office use). Tividale used to be in Rowley Regis, Staffordshire but now my mom's address is Tividale, Oldbury, Sandwell. Oldbury used to be in Worcestershire or Shropshire, but is now joined with parts of Staffordshire and is in Sandwell.

Confused - you will be ........

You might be lucky enough to find the Isolation Hospital in the Electoral Roll. But just to add to the confusion, the Electoral Roll for Rowley Regis, up until the 1940's is held at Stafford Archives, not Sandwell, although you might find some photos at Sandwell.

If I have time, I'm going to Sandwell Archives next week - I'll add a question to my Sandwell list.

Maggie
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:27 pm

going to move this soon to Social History BC section

is it that one then with the old map and the hospital on?
Northern Lass

Postby blackcountrybiker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:35 pm

That's the one... it was Aston Road, Tividale after all.
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."
George Bernard Shaw
blackcountrybiker

Postby gardener » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:38 pm

This is from here: Annual report of the Registrar-General for England and Wales
, Volume 69
http://books.google.co.uk/books?ei=4EXn ... rch_anchor

It is dated 1908
It is only snippet view but I take it to read that Dudley had two different entries. There are three columns of figures after each hispital, one is the sum of the other two so I'm guessing it is something like Total Wards/Male Wards/Femal Wards (or the other way round for the male/female. Or perhaps it is deaths from different years?
This doesn't help with the location but indicates it was not the same as Guest Hospital and was perhaps small?

374 - Dudley
1. Rowley Regis Small-pox hospital, (S Staffs Small-pox Hosp. Bd.)
2. Tipton Infectious diseases Hospital (Tipton UD)
3. Sedgley Workhouse
4. Dudley Guest Hospital
" Infectious Diseases Hospital (Dudley C.B.)
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Antie Em » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:18 pm

I don't know if the Aston Road that is there today (on Google) is the one that was around in 1911. There was another Aston Road in Tividale, more towards Tipton, very near to St Michael's Church. I tend to think the Hospital was on the Dudley Road, Tividale. You can see it on Google if you search for Dudley Road West, Tividale, UK, and you can see the Tividale Park which is there now.
Antie Em

Postby gardener » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:34 pm

What about Hayley Green? Is that a possibility? Opened in 1901 (don't know which month)
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=x5dV ... CEAQ6AEwAg

HOSPITAL ACCOMMODATION IN WORCESTERSHIRE. A new infectious diseases hospital, which has been erected by tho Stourbridge and Hales Owen Joint Hospital Committee at Hayley Green, Hales Owen, was opened last week by Miss Willis Bund, ...

Could that count as Dudley? I saw something from there was mentioned in the archives for Guest Hospital which is Dudley.
gardener

Postby Antie Em » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:38 pm

I think it was classed at Dudley, but is actually in Halesowen, quite a distance from Tividale. It was an isolation hospital, my sister was in there in 1950 when she had polio.
Antie Em

Postby 18chestnut » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:10 pm

There was once an Isolation Hospital or "Fever Hospital" in Quarry Bank .It was situated in Pedmore Road ,down a track opposite where Merry Hill is now.
I have a photo of it with the caretakers Mr and MrsBeddall ,it was taken in 1910
My relative died there in 1895 of Typhoid fever

Pat
18chestnut

Postby blackcountrybiker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Hmmmm - I started this thread with 1 possible. 1 opened too late and another that I couldn't find.... got to a point where I thought we'd nailed it down to 1 and now I've got lots more possibles :? As my relatives were living on Chapel street, Netherton in 1901, this one at Quarry Bank wouldn't have been very far away either. It's a pity it only says "Infectious Diseases Hospital, Dudley" on the death certificates and doesn't give any more clues.
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."
George Bernard Shaw
blackcountrybiker

Postby Antie Em » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:40 pm

Long shot - but the person who witnessed the death would probably have been an employee of the hospital. As it was an infectious diseases hospital - they may well have been "living in". You could try and find that person on the nearest census.
Antie Em

Postby Antie Em » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:42 am

OK - Been to the Archives in Smethwick and had all the maps out with the very helpful Keith. There is an isolation hospital in Tividale on the 1902 Godfrey Map of Brades Village, and it was still there in 1919. I have managed to scan it, and will try to add it here. It does look like it was on the land where Tividale Park is now and close to the air hole for the Netehrton Tunnel. We found a Hospital Lane on the A-Z for 1938, in the place where the Isolation Hospital may have been.

I can't add the file, it's too big. If you would like to PM me your e mail address, I'll send it to you.

Maggie
Antie Em

Postby gardener » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:14 am

Sorry to keep disagreeing long-distance :-)

I just don't think that it was the Tividale one. If you look here
http://books.google.co.uk/books?ei=Dyvs ... rch_anchor
and top half
then you can just make out that the Tividale Infectious Diseases Hosp. is listed as Rowley Regis. Then listed under Dudley is Infectious Diseases Hospital (Dudley C.B.)
I think it is the latter that you need to locate because it best matches the death certificate.
gardener

Postby gardener » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:19 am

Antie Em wrote:Long shot - but the person who witnessed the death would probably have been an employee of the hospital. As it was an infectious diseases hospital - they may well have been "living in". You could try and find that person on the nearest census.

That is a really good idea.
gardener

Postby blackcountrybiker » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:46 pm

gardener wrote:Sorry to keep disagreeing long-distance :-)

I just don't think that it was the Tividale one. If you look here
and top half
then you can just make out that the Tividale Infectious Diseases Hosp. is listed as Rowley Regis. Then listed under Dudley is Infectious Diseases Hospital (Dudley C.B.)
I think it is the latter that you need to locate because it best matches the death certificate.

I'm starting to think it's the latter one too, although it's been very interesting researching the Tividale hospital, it's all knowledge I didn't have before. I've just taken out the death certificates again and the deaths were witnessed by a next door neighbour from Netherton and a sister-in-law who lived on Constitution Hill, Dudley. The cerificate then says place of death "Infectious Diseases Hospital, Dudley UD" ... It's been suggested that I take another look at the Infectious diseases unit at the old Dudley Workhouse (Burton Road Hospital)... think I need to come down to Dudley and spend a day in the archives :?
George Bernard Shaw
blackcountrybiker

Postby peterd » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:01 pm

poss attached to the workhouse

Dudley had a parish workhouse on the south side of Tower Street to the north of .... general sick wards, infectious disease ward (separate from the main block), male ... was a member of a voluntary group called Friends of Burton Road Hospital.
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

PreviousNext

Return to General and Social Black Country History