Infectious diseases hospital in Dudley

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Re: Infectious diseases hospital in Dudley

Postby BC Wench » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:44 pm

The Dudley Workhouse which was in Tower Street was way too early for the one which blackcountrybiker is looking for. This workhouse was there in the late 1700s. The Dudley Union Workhouse at Burton Road was built in 1855 to replace the one in Tower Street.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby blackcountrybiker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:37 pm

Information on Dudley poor Law Union and the Workhouses....
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Dudley/ Following the lead from Rich Kendall on the Black Country genealogy forum, I'm going to pen a short letter to the Black Country Bugle and see what reaction I get.
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."
George Bernard Shaw
blackcountrybiker

Postby English Bob » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:43 am

Hi folks, I was researching something entirely different to this thread but found your discussion... I know it is a bit late from the original thread, but better late than never.
Concerning the infection desease hospital in Dudley. There was an ID Hospital south of Queens Cross/Aston Road (then Farthings Lane) and west of Blowers Green Road, Dudley.
It was not shown on a 1886 o/s map but is shown on a 1901 until 1938.
The area it was at is now under the A461 Dudley southern by-pass road. Hope this is of help.
If someone explains to me how to upload photos to this thread I will post a part of a o/s map showing the hospital.
English Bob

Postby Oasis » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:18 am

There was an infectious diseases hospital at Blowers Green, just south of Gammage Strret and west of Blower's Green Road. It was over the Road opposite Blowers Green House. It was on an unnamed lane which led from blower's Green to the Dudley Cemetery.
I think it and Blowers Green House must have been demolished around 1916. Google offers no information about the hospital or Blowers Green House: they are clearly shown on a 1900 map. Wiil research it further.
Edit just seen the reply from English Bob!
Oasis

Previous

Return to General and Social Black Country History