Rowley Regis - Barrow in Furness connection

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Rowley Regis - Barrow in Furness connection

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:37 pm

Time and again i see a connection between our Dark Region and Barrow in Furness.
Probably due to work but does anyone have any more specific reasons why this connection came about?

(Does this belong on Black Genealogy Discussion thread?)
Rob

Re: Rowley Regis - Barrow in Furness connection

Postby MarkCDodd » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Barrow in Furness relied on ship manufacturing to keeps it population employed and fed.

Although assembled at BiF, the ships relied on many components to come from other industrial areas.

An odvious one is the large amount of chains required in the docks on onboard the vessels.

Coal for the engines, large cast items such as anchors, brass fittings and ceramics all came from The Black Country.

The Barrow Shipbuilding Company attempted to negate costs of transport, and effectively cut out the middle man, by building factories and smelters that you would normally see in places like Shropshire and Staffordshire.

This meant that not only did Black Country residents move to BiF as part of the supply of components to the ship builders, many skilled workmen found jobs in the factories and smelters that BSC owned.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby gardener » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:57 pm

That's interesting Rob. I've only got people going over to Sunderland for the chainmaking.

When did the earliest ones go to Barrow, and what did they do? Since they had local iron ore to mine I suppose production of that had to be increased first. They must have attracted iron and stone miners from lots of places. Or perhaps some went up there when the canal was being dug?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Annie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:12 pm

My great grandfather and family moved to Barrow in Furness and was from Rowley Regis, he was a brickmaker so not sure if he moved because of work , the census before he was working and living in Middlesex at some brickworks.

Annie
Annie

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:27 pm

So did Mally's Evan Evans.Just put it on.
It seems a lot moved to Barro in the 1870's for work.Some came back but quite a few stayed and raised their families there.
Rob

Postby peterd » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:47 pm

Annie wrote:My great grandfather and family moved to Barrow in Furness and was from Rowley Regis, he was a brickmaker so not sure if he moved because of work , the census before he was working and living in Middlesex at some brickworks.

Annie

brickmaker annie, might have made silicon bricks that use to line furnaces and kilns for the different industries not neccesary house bricks ?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby peterd » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:50 pm

gardener wrote:That's interesting Rob. I've only got people going over to Sunderland for the chainmaking.

When did the earliest ones go to Barrow, and what did they do? Since they had local iron ore to mine I suppose production of that had to be increased first. They must have attracted iron and stone miners from lots of places. Or perhaps some went up there when the canal was being dug?

sunderland and barrow the same, shipbuilding was on the Tyne, Wear and Tees with good quanties of iron ore and coal in places like spennymoor and consett to supply the yards
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Annie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:46 am

peterd wrote:
Annie wrote:My great grandfather and family moved to Barrow in Furness and was from Rowley Regis, he was a brickmaker so not sure if he moved because of work , the census before he was working and living in Middlesex at some brickworks.

Annie

brickmaker annie, might have made silicon bricks that use to line furnaces and kilns for the different industries not neccesary house bricks ?

Thank you Peterd , I must admit thought it was house bricks , never thought it may have been another type.

Annie
Annie

Return to General and Social Black Country History