LAMENTABLE OCCURRENCE AT THE STEWPONEY

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

LAMENTABLE OCCURRENCE AT THE STEWPONEY

Postby linell » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:05 pm

Lamentable Occurrence at the Stewponey 1861.

On Tuesday afternoon last an inquest was held at the Stewponey Hotel on the body of William Detheridge, a blacksmith of Dudley, who was drowned on the previous Sunday morning in a Pond known as the 'Old Marl Pit' near the Stewponey. The deceased was said to be of very industrious and sober habits, had left Dudley that morning in a Trap. On the way the horse was driven into the above-named pond to take a drink, having almost immediately got into deep water, the deceased jumped in to endeavor to save his daughter, but instantly sank and was drowned. The Pond in question is situated in the Public Road and has every appearance of being used as a watering place for horses. It is not more than fourteen yards wide, but about a yard and a half from the side the water is twelve feet deep, besides four or five feet of mud.

The first Witness was Charles Clay, Painter and Glazier from Holly Hall. He said the deceased was a Blacksmith living at Dudley, and his Son in Law aged 27.

Second Witness was Joseph Detheridge, a Whitesmith, brother of the deceased. He said that he, the deceased, the deceased's Wife and two children, my Wife and child, and my Wife's sister left Dudley on Sunday morning in a Spring Cart, drawn by one horse. The Cart had been borrowed by the deceased and the horse by myself. I drove the Cart, and suggested we stopped at what looked like a regular watering hole. I drove the horse into the Pond, he had only gone a short distance when he seemed to go off his legs. We all ended up in the water, we were pulled out, but I could not see my Brother, he was missing, I cannot tell you how long it was before my Brother was got out of the Water.

The next Witness was Elijah Yardley, a Carter from Stourton. I live close to the place where the accident occurred, about a quarter to ten on Sunday morning I saw some persons in a Cart going towards the Pond and I ran to the place to stop them, as I knew it was very deep and dangerous. When I reached the spot the Cart and People were all in the Water. Deceased was by the side of the Pond, he asked me to jump in and rescue his child, I told him the Pond was too deep and I could not swim. I at once ran for a rope, when I got back deceased had jumped into the water trying to rescue his child, but he sank and only came up once or twice, he appeared to have no knowledge of swimming, myself and others were getting other people out of the Pond when the deceased jumped in. I saw the deceased's body taken out of the water a quarter of an hour later. The Pond is on the Stourton Road, and is the property of Mr Foley. I recollect a little boy being drowned in the Pond some seven years ago. The Pond should have a fence to make it safe.

The Jury returned a Verdict of Accidental Death and recommended that steps should be taken immediately to render it's approaches secure.
linell

Re: LAMENTABLE OCCURRENCE AT THE STEWPONEY

Postby rockyfowler » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:42 pm

DETHERIDGE William CLAY Elizabeth Dudley, St Thomas Dudley Register Office 204/017/441 1858
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Return to General and Social Black Country History