Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffalos

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffalos

Postby snoopysue » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:49 pm

Does anybody know whether there is still a RAOB lodge in Swan Village, West Bromwich?
My great grandfather, Harvey Jinks, was a member of the Swan Lodge, he was initiated into the lodge in October 1922 (I have the original certificate).
He was originally an iron moulder, but in 1921 he was unemployed (family history says that he was injured, or disabled in some way), and by 1928 he's a shopkeeper (he had an "outdoor" or off licence in Railway Street). He was also a local councillor for a number of years. He was also supposed to have been active in the trade union movement but I haven't been able to confirm this.
I would love to know more about what the lodge did for the local community.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Re: Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffalos

Postby mallosa » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:17 pm

Hi S.S.

Just asked google (don't tell Rob)

The Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes (RAOB) is one of the largest fraternal organisations in the United Kingdom.[1] The order started in 1822 and is known as the Buffs to members.

The RAOB organisation aids members, their families, dependents of former members and other charitable organisations.

The Order's motto is "No Man Is At All Times Wise" (Latin: Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit) and it has the maxim of "Justice, Truth and Philanthropy". The Order has a Rule Book, Manual of Instruction and Ceremony Lectures issued and revised by the Grand Lodge of England. The 'lodge' description for branch organisation and headquarters was adopted in imitation of Freemasonry.
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby mallosa » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:35 pm

Sorry, can't find the answer to your question - is there still a RAOB lodge in Swan Village, West Bromwich? :roll:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby gardener » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:46 pm

walsallraob.com would probably be the best bet for an answer
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Return to General and Social Black Country History