Churchwardens of Halesowen & Rowley Regis ?

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Re: Churchwardens of Halesowen & Rowley Regis ?

Postby Maths girl » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:29 am

apowell wrote: and I'm wondering what type of information is covered in the book 'Halas Halas Halesowen' by F.K. Somers' because I would like to order a copy from the net or is it out of print.

Kind regards
Adrian

According to the introduction Frank Somers was a parish Warden and decided to collect and record information in regard to Hales Owen.

He had access to + others not mentioned specifically
Manor Rolls 1270-1564
Warden's accounts 1487-1582 and 1612 -1641
Parish Church registers began 1559

Hope this helps you to decide.
Maths girl
Maths girl

Postby linell » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi MG, many thanks for listing all those names, brilliant.

Adrian when I read the book, it is the most comprehensive history of Halesowen, goes back to the days of the Abbey, and the history of the town and Church, it is a must for anyone interested in the history of Halesowen, yes it is out of print unfortunately.

Walter Somers (born in Repton, Derbyshire in 1839, died 1917) was an English engineer and businessman who established a forge company, later known as Walter Somers Limited, producing a range of steel products including items for military use by the British Admiralty during World War I
In 1866 Somers was given a loan of £100 by his father and took on a short lease on an ironworks complex at Mucklow Hill, Halesowen, establishing a forgemaster business. Initially focused on production of chains and anchors, the business later also produced axles and railway buffers. By the last decade of the 19th century, it was delivering forgings to Admiralty specifications - a customer relationship that continued throughout World War I. Somers' company also produced parts of the anchors used on the RMS Titanic.
In 1907 Somers bought Belle Vue House on Mucklow Hill, installing electricity in the house. Overhead lines from a generator at Somers' works supplied current for the house until the 1920s when it connected to public services.[3]
Somers died in 1917, leaving the company under the direction of his two sons, Seth and Frank. Frank Somers was managing director until 1954.
linell

Postby linell » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:17 pm

Just found this list of Halesowen Records:-

http://www.londonfhc.org/content/catalo ... esowen&f=1
linell

Postby apowell » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:55 am

Hi Maths girl,

That's great information and very kind of you to take the trouble to post for us.

Wow the large list of Hadleys gives more proof that the family was well established in the local area for many many years.

Great stuff.
Adrian
apowell

Postby apowell » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:58 am

Hi Linell,

linell wrote:Adrian when I read the book, it is the most comprehensive history of Halesowen, goes back to the days of the Abbey, and the history of the town and Church, it is a must for anyone interested in the history of Halesowen, yes it is out of print unfortunately.

I thought so because I attempted yesterday to track down a copy to order on the internet with no joy.

What a shame :roll:
Adrian
apowell

Postby FarSide » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:34 am

I have the microfiche Churchwardens book St Thomas, Dudley 1618 to 1725
if anyone wants a lookup, and I've never looked at it, so don't know what info is on there.
I live in my own little world. But it's ok....they know me here!
FarSide

Postby linell » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:04 am

FarSide wrote:I have the microfiche Churchwardens book St Thomas, Dudley 1618 to 1725
if anyone wants a lookup, and I've never looked at it, so don't know what info is on there.

Thanks FS, don't think any of them connect to me, my family were all Non Conformists from RR. Cheers someone else may be interested. Best Wishes from Lin.
linell

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:03 pm

FarSide wrote:I have the microfiche Churchwardens book St Thomas, Dudley 1618 to 1725

Thanks FS add it to the look up offers and Annie will add it to the list of members resources on offer

and thanks :wink:
Northern Lass

Postby peterd » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:34 pm

how many pages is the book could scan it down and try to create a searchable pdf file should be out of copyright ?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Maths girl » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:43 pm

peterd wrote:how many pages is the book could scan it down and try to create a searchable pdf file should be out of copyright ?

If you mean the Halas Hales -- there are 9 pages of Churchwardens --? published 1932 -- how long is copyright and is it affected by if it is republished?
Maths girl

Postby peterd » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:51 pm

Maths girl wrote:
peterd wrote:how many pages is the book could scan it down and try to create a searchable pdf file should be out of copyright ?

If you mean the Halas Hales -- there are 9 pages of Churchwardens --? published 1932 -- how long is copyright and is it affected by if it is republished?

was thinking about the entire book :lol: :lol:
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

peterd

Postby peterd » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:58 pm

Locating U.K. Copyright Holders
The meaning of copyright
Copyright is a property right, which authors hold in respect of works which they have created. As a property right (it is often described being an "intellectual property"), copyright can be bought, sold, leased or mortgaged. Copyright confers an exclusive right to exploit an original work. Exploitation in this sense includes the following: copying, publication, reproduction, quotation, performance, translation, adaptation, dramatisation, broadcasting on radio or television, filming, and making available by a computer service or network.

The extent of copyright
Copyright automatically covers almost all original written works. Although copyright legislation often refers to "literary works", copyright applies regardless of the quality of the writing. Copyright subsists in both published and unpublished works, and extends to manuscripts, single scraps of paper, and private correspondence. Published works which have been deemed sufficiently original to be copyright-protected include advertisements; football pools coupons; sheets of election results; lists of Stock Exchange prices; and an alphabetical list of British railway stations. Copyright is time-limited, normally remaining in force for a certain number of years post mortem auctoris (after the author's death, often written as p.m.a.).

The duration of copyright
The time period for copyright has grown continually longer over the last three centuries. Many think it is now absurdly long. In Britain the Copyright Act of 1842 introduced the idea of post mortem copyright protection; it established a copyright period of 42 years from the date of first publication or 7 years after the author's death, whichever was the longer. The Copyright Act of 1911 extended the period to 50 years after an author's death; and the European Union Directive on Term of Copyright (adopted by the UK on 1 January 1996) further extended the standard period to 70 years p.m.a. Thus in 2009 works by authors who died in 1939 or any year thereafter remain "in copyright".

"Revived copyright"
As a result of the European Union Directive, published works of authors who died between 1 January 1926 and 31 December 1945 came back into copyright on 1 January 1996. These authors, including some of the great names of English literature, had been out of copyright since the end of the year of the 50th anniversary of their death and returned to copyright for whatever remains of the period until the end of the year of the 70th anniversary of their death. The published works of Virginia Woolf, for example, came out of copyright on 1 January 1992 but have gone back into copyright for the period from 1 January 1996 to 31 December 2011.

so basiclly if he died before 1938 then copyright finishes in 1989 50 years afterwards

if ne died in 1939 then its 2010 and so on think ive got it right ?

any idea when he died ?

peterd

Postby linell » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:25 am

Frank Somers who wrote 'Halas Halas Halesowen' was still on the Civic and Business circuit when I was growing up, circa 1960.

Linell.
linell

Postby Maths girl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:32 pm

linell wrote:Frank Somers who wrote 'Halas Halas Halesowen' was still on the Civic and Business circuit when I was growing up, circa 1960.

Linell.

I think that means it is still in copyright if I have followed this -- how does anyone understand the law?
Maths girl

Postby peterd » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:54 am

so permission off the next of kin would be needed as i cannot se it be copyrighted by a major publisher ?

peterd

PreviousNext

Return to Black Country Church Information