T/s of the living offered to Thomas Garratt @ St Giles

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

T/s of the living offered to Thomas Garratt @ St Giles

Postby TWG1947 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Here's a transcript (original at Worcs County Records) of the living offered to Thomas Garratt at St Giles Rowley Regis By Rev Walker in 1697.

To the Right Reverend father in God Edwards Lord Bishop of Worc

Whereof it is required by the 33 Canon that no person shall be admitted into sacred Orders, except he have some certained place where he may use his function:

I Thos. Walker Vicar of Clent & Rowley within your Lordships Diocese do give the bearer hereof
Mr Thos Garrett Bac of Arts, a title to the Cure (or Chapel) of Rowley aforesaid; and by these presents
I do promise to assign over to him for his pains for him to collect and receive all the privy dues or small tythes of the said place (except to myself mortuarys & the tythes of woods;) which said privy tythes are reputed by the Parishioners to be £30 s anul; (the Glebe & all there was never reputed but at £40 s anul; & Clent the Mother Church at 40 more; so according to the estimation I shall give more than any of my Predecessors ever have done.
Wherefore I humbly desire that the said Mr Garrett may be admitted into holy Orders, and may be Licensed to the said Cure. I remain

Clent may
29 - 97 Your Lordships humble Servant

T. Walker
TWG1947

Return to Black Country Church Information