St Lukes Churchyard Cradley Heath- record of Graves query

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Re: St Lukes Churchyard Cradley Heath

Postby Serenity » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:19 pm

Hi again,

Further to my last post, this is the info from the microfiche re the MI's.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS.

This Survey was made by Alan & Pauline Page, Dennys Brooks & Jack Goff in 1995. The memorials have been cross referenced with the earlier record made by the Leisure Department of Sandwell Council prior to the re-organisation of the churchyard. The number in ( ) refers to the original position of the stone on the plans which were made at the time of the landscaping in 1991.

Part 11 of the survey is a copy of the stones recorded by Sandwell Council which have since been removed.

Sadly, we are not just losing headstones due to vandalism. We have been told on more than one occasion that headstones have been deliberately dug up and buried. We have also seen headstones with perfectly legible inscriptions put amongst mounds of rubble and weeds. I will not name the places concerned but it is the reason why we are taking so many photographs because there is no guarantee that any headstone, or indeed grave is safe from destruction, either by mindless vandalism or removal for the purpose of landscaping.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need an MI for St Luke.

Best wishes,

Jenni
Serenity

Postby cid » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi Serenity,

Just had a look at the alternative site, but no luck. Have been round the churchyard a few times but the stones must have been disposed of. It's Sarah Jane Price i'm looking for, died June 1918. was wondering if her daughter Louisa was buried with her a couple of years later. the grave was just inside the main gate and to the right, but I think it must be under the path now as it looks like it's been widened. The others were Henry and Elizabeth Parkes die approx 1943 to 1948 but I know they had no headstones just stone around the edge of the plot.

Cheers

Chris
cid

Postby Carol » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:01 pm

Hi Serenity,

I visted St Lukes a few years ago and remember taking pictures of a couple of old rib iron graves-not related but just of Black Country interest. I don't remember seeing any of my family buried there as they were mostly at St Pauls, Blackheath. I just wondered if you had any mention of Bate or Tooth on your MI list as they lived in both areas and attended St Lukes on occassion.

Many Thanks

Carol
Carol

http://www.southernlurcherrescue.org.uk/

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSSkhCu/]
[/url]
Carol

Postby Serenity » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi cid & Carol,

cid

Really sorry but nothing for any of the names you have given.
In going through the MI's, it is hard to believe how many graves are noted as having the monuments pushed off and smashed, kerbs and headstones completely destroyed and headstones pushed over and smashed. As these MI's were done in 1995, there must have been some dreadful vandalism in the late 80's early 90's. I lived in Cradley Heath back in the 60's until I was 6 years old but still returned there every week until the late 70's to see my nan and grandad. Nothing like this was happening then that I was aware of - it is impossible to understand what makes people do this. :(

Carol

Another sorry because no mention of the surname Tooth. These are the names listed under Bate:

Cyril
Elizabeth
Florence
George
Minnie
Nellie
William

Re St Luke's Burial Registers, they are at Dudley Archives and cover the years 1847-1905 on microfilm. The original Registers cover 1847-1942.The Church comes under Reddall Hill (Cradley Heath).

Don't hesitate to ask if you need anymore help.

Best Wishes,

Jenni
Serenity

Postby cid » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:17 pm

Thanks Jenni

Yes there has been lots of vandalism there and still is.
So I think a trip to the archives is in order.

Chris
cid

Postby Serenity » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:21 pm

Hi Chris,

HTH.

Best wishes,

Jenni
Serenity

Postby Carol » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:46 pm

Thanks Jenni,

Is that all one family grave for Bate? Any dates for these? I expect they are somehow related, although not in direct line. Has this one been photographed by any chance, or one that has disappeared?

Thanks

Carol
Carol

http://www.southernlurcherrescue.org.uk/

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSSkhCu/]
[/url]
Carol

Postby Serenity » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi Carol,

Details of the Bate MI's are as follows:

SECTION B1 - Against Boundary Wall from Vicarage Gateway

(E107)

In Loving Memory of
MINNIE beloved wife of GEORGE BATE died 19th November 1939
aged 70 years
Also GEORGE BATE died 26 December 1949 aged 78 years.

SECTION C - Row 18

(C181)

In Loving Memory of
GEORGE BATE who died 13 January 1949 aged 47 years
Also his wife FLORENCE BATE who died 22 September 1981 aged 79 years.

SECTION F
Plot No.

York Headstone & Kerbs.
NELLIE BATE Died 21.09.1921 Age 21

SECTION F
Plot No.

White Headstone & Kerbs.
WILLIAM BATE Died 02.01.1947 Age 79
CYRIL BATE Died 02.08.1929 Age 19
ELIZABETH BATE Died 09.04.1941 Age 73

There is a photo of a headstone which appears to have been laid flat for an Elizabeth Bates who was relict of the late George Bates who died August 12th 1858. I know it has got an 'S' added to the surname but could be connected as two Georges appear above. Website is http://www.blackcountrychurchyards.com. Photo is 5th from the bottom of the St Luke's page. Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Jenni
Serenity

Postby Silver surfer » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:19 pm

I've just had a look at the photos of the headstones at St Lukes and am absolutely devasted to see my Burley headstone in two pieces and now lying on the ground. I wondered how long it would be before it was toppled. It will now erode quickly with the rain and snow on it. :shock: :cry: :cry: I do have a photo taken a few years ago but that is of little consolation to me!!!
Researching Foley, Burley, Dean, Danks, Smith, Pugh, Hughes, Shakespeare.
Silver surfer

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:37 am

Moving this to the Black Country History section under the Black Country Church Information
as there is a good deal of useful info in here
:grin: :wink:
Northern Lass

Re: St Lukes Churchyard Cradley Heath- record of Graves query

Postby Tonibunny » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:14 am

Hi Jenni,

If you're still out there, could you possibly look for a reference to the memorial stone of any BARKERs who might be buried at St Lukes for me please? My great grandfather and all four of his brothers died of TB one after the other and were buried there between 1921 and 1932. I doubt they had a headstone to begin with though, because they were so poor :(

Edward BARKER b.1891 d.1928 aged 37
Thomas BARKER b.1898 d.1932 aged 34
Joseph BARKER b.1904 d.1921 aged 17
Samuel BARKER b.1908 d.1927 aged 19
Harold BARKER b.1910 d.1930 aged 20

Also Edward's baby son John Daniel, died in 1927 aged 1.

Many thanks,
Toni
Tonibunny

Postby Serenity » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:43 am

Hi Toni,

Yes, I'm here.

I will look at the MI's for you tomorrow and let you know the details of anything I find.

It's really sad to see such a terrible loss - I have no idea how our ancestors coped.

Kind regards,

Jenni
Serenity

Postby linell » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:53 pm

Hi Jenni, can you confirm for me please that there is an Elizabeth Stringer Buried St Lukes 1811 aged 93? Have her in my notes but didn't write down which Church at the time :roll: I am pretty sure it was St Lukes, many thanks from Linell.
linell

Postby Northern Lass » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:07 pm

linell wrote:Hi Jenni, can you confirm for me please that there is an Elizabeth Stringer Buried St Lukes 1811 aged 93? Have her in my notes but didn't write down which Church at the time :roll: I am pretty sure it was St Lukes, many thanks from Linell.

Lin is that year of burial correct St Lukes opened much later than that I thought
is that her dob? :?
Northern Lass

Postby linell » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi NL, oh yes of course it did :roll: :roll: <LOL> Perhaps the 1811 is her dob :?: Would you have a look please Jenni for an Elizabeth Stringer, thankyou from Linell.
linell

PreviousNext

Return to Black Country Church Information