St Lukes Churchyard Cradley Heath- record of Graves query

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

St Lukes Churchyard Cradley Heath- record of Graves query

Postby cid » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:14 pm

Hi folks,

Has anyone any idea if a record was kept of the graves that were removed at the time of the rennovation of the churchyard? I know there are a lot of stones that have been placed around the outer walls, but I can't find my lot there at all.

cheers
Cid
cid

Re: St Lukes Churchyard Cradley Heath

Postby peterd » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:17 pm

here cid this is a canny site you might find what your looking for

http://www.blackcountrychurchyards.co.uk/3901.html
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby cid » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:22 pm

cheers peterd, already looked at that one, pictures taken after graves stones removed. I've searched the churchyard loads of time in case i missed them, but to no avail....
cid

Postby linell » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi Cid, Dudley Archives has a Micro Fiche with some MI's, from years ago. I think you are referring to the recent work done by the Council after all the vandalism circa 2002. I visited the Church Yard just after the Grave Stones had been moved around the perimeter wall, consequently I couldn't find my Gt Grandparents Grave so I went and spoke to the Vicar, she told me that there were no records of who was buried where. So sorry but the answer to your question is basically no unless your ancestors MI's are on the Micro Fiche at Dudley, or maybe on the link that Peter has posted. Linell.
linell

Postby cid » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks Linell,

I was told the location of my g grandmothers grave, but I think it's now under the path!

Cid
cid

Postby linell » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:56 pm

Snap, so are my Gt Grandparents 'under the path' the one that goes off to the left as you walk up from the Main Gate :!: Luckily I took my Mom there and she remembered where it was approximately. Terrible really the Tomb was all smashed up there was nothing left, the Council removed all the rubble for Health and Safety reasons. My Nan would have been heart broken she used to go and scrubb that Grave, her sister was in there too, she died from TB at the young age of 22. I did buy a Chair for the Church which has their names inscribed on a brass plaque so they wouldn't be forgotten. Two years later my Mom died, she is not buried at St Lukes, I wouldn't have a minutes peace if I thought she had been laid to rest there! Best Wishes from Linell.
linell

Postby cid » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:04 pm

Thanks Linell,

My g/grandmother also had a daughter die of TB (i think she was 18) I was hoping to get a look at the stone to see if she was buried with her mother. Mine are on the right as you go through the main gate. Also if you go to the right side of the church you will find my g/g/ uncle buried with his first wife and his son from his second marriage :!: :!: . His second wife is just to the left of them, name of Price.

cheers
cid
cid

Postby linell » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi Cid, yes I know where you mean, my Stringer Gt Gt Grandparents are buried to the right of the main path, their Tomb is in our Gallery. That is still very much intact. The one that was smashed up was my Nan's Parents. I did speak to a Local Undertaker who happened to be at Church the Day I went, he told me that even they did not have any old records of burials, and that his Father or Grandfather had told him that some of the Plots at St Lukes were empty, no one in there :!: It is quiet alarming really that no one seems to have kept any proper records. Linell.
linell

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi Cid as Linell says there is a microfiche of MI's for St Lukes and a grave plan too
so if they had a headstone you should be able to at least place where abouts they are.
Northern Lass

Postby cid » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:50 pm

Will have to go to the archives soon. Must compile a list of what I need to see.
cid

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:01 pm

cid wrote:Will have to go to the archives soon. Must compile a list of what I need to see.

any help you need we have a look up list so if you got details you can add them there
:grin: :wink:
Northern Lass

Postby cid » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:04 pm

Cheers,

will have to sit down and make a wish list, how much time can you spend there in one go?
cid

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:29 pm

cid wrote:Cheers,

will have to sit down and make a wish list, how much time can you spend there in one go?

Well I take me sleeping bag but keep getting chucked out at 5
:o :shock: :(
Northern Lass

Postby grangers14 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:34 pm

Nothing to add to help in this but...
Makes me so sad to read places being smashed up and vandalised like this. :(
It happens to so many places now.
No respect.
Sorry it has hapend to your family graves.
Jo
grangers14

Postby Serenity » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:33 pm

Hi Cid,

Am currently re-organising the Black Country Churchyards sites. Have you had a look at http://www.blackcountrychurchyards.com, which also has St Luke's photos - some are the same as on http://www.blackcountrychurchyards.co.uk. which we are about to check and remove to .com if not there already. When we photographed the churchyard, we took pretty much everything that was there but may have missed a few. I have the Cradley Heath, St Luke MIs if you want me to have a look for you. HTH. :-)

Kind regards,

Jenni
Serenity

Next

Return to Black Country Church Information