Rowley Regis (St Giles) Churchyard

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Rowley Regis (St Giles) Churchyard

Postby Margarett » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:21 am

Hello ,
I haven't posted on here for ages, but I felt I must say something about this. We were on our way to see my Mum yesterday, when we decided to go and have a quick look at the family grave at Rowley Regis. I was shocked and saddened to see the state of the churchyard. The grass and cow parsley were about 4 feet high, right across the graveyard. There was a small team of Community payback workers removing dead flowers from the graves and picking up rubbish. They were also strimming grass and weeds near to the main entrance of the church. But what a massive task to clear it! It's a very large graveyard and many of the graves have now fallen (sometimes literally!!) into disrepair and neglect, and I pity anyone looking for a grave there for family history research.
Our grave was on an" island" on it's own , and it looked as though someone had strimmed around our plot. As far as I know, no-one else from the family has been for some time, so I wonder if someone has been taking photos or maybe the Commonwealth War graves Commission have tidied around it, as it is also a war grave. I know war graves are inspected annually by them.
Interested to hear any comments about this.
Margarett

Re: Rowley Regis (St Giles) Churchyard

Postby rockyfowler » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:39 am

If you look on this same site (its hidden away ) gallery/index.php you may see the stones .St Giles do ask for volunteers to clear it so you could contact the church to help kind regards RF
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Margarett » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:49 am

Yes, I know the pics are on here. I'm too far away to help clear it unfortunately, and judging by yesterday's appearance, it will need an entire army to make any difference!
Margarett

Postby rockyfowler » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:51 am

It dies back in the winter that`s the best time to go :wink:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Margarett » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:55 am

I know where ours is and had no trouble finding it. I was just commenting on the state of the place.
Margarett

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:01 pm

Now thats a coincidence Margerett i was only talking to the Vicar last week about the state of the graveyard. He's aware of the problem but according to him it is a lack of volunteers. I wondered out loud why there couldn't be a combined effort with people forced to do communial work but he said even that costs 100 pounds a time.
Rob

Postby Margarett » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:41 pm

Right! That's interesting then. Maybe they decided it was worth it then?
Margarett

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:32 am

Moving this to the Church discussion section.
Northern Lass

Postby Margarett » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:56 am

Sorry Jan, didn't realise there was one! :)
Margarett

Postby Rob » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:46 pm

Should have checked first Margarett !! No excuses really !! Right Jan?
The Vicar of St Giles was supposed to get back to me with an email !! That was last week and i'm still waiting !!
Rob

Postby Margarett » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:20 pm

:P
Margarett

Return to Black Country Church Information